New Crab Owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
LittleCinderella

New Crab Owner

Post by LittleCinderella » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am

We are the new caretakers of three, small, purple pincher hermit crabs! I'm afraid we got them as pets for our granddaughter, in the usual 1 gal kritter keeper, not understanding how much care they actually needed. But since they arrived I've learned a lot and their living conditions have been greatly improved.

They are now in a 30 gallon tank, with six inches of play sand/coconut fiber substrate mix, a back of the tank heater, and lots of empty shells that are slightly larger than their current shells. One hermie has already tried on a new outfit, but switched back. Image

Their food dish contains bok choy, tomato, applesauce, egg shells, coconut oil, and daphnia. We also have crushed oyster shell sprinkled in the substrate, but it's too large, so we're waiting for cuttlebones to arrive.

One question, how large should our saltwater bath be? Right now it's a small, shallow reptile dish in the corner.

Thanks!ImageImageImage

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crab Owner

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Aw, how little and cute! Welcome to crabbing!
Both your fresh and salt water dishes should be deep enough for your crabs to submerge, but also have a way for them to climb out. So the actual depth will depend on how large your crabs are. Many people use Rubbermaid type containers, with craft mesh attached with zip ties.
Your crabs will need protein daily, as well as the yummies you are giving.
Be sure to check out the 'care sheets' section, you'll find tons or great info there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
LittleCinderella

Post by LittleCinderella » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Thank you for the welcome! I'm going to try out a plastic doll house bathtub for their salt water soak. 😁

Does the dried daphnia not count as protein? They also get scrambled egg on some days and dried meal worms and crickets. I have looked at the list and the selection is very comprehensive. Thank you to everyone who helped create it!

Lobsterbob

Post by Lobsterbob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am

We've also purchased 2 crabs as pets for our daughter, she already loves them.
For now she calls them number 1 and number 2, but we are in a process of imagine good names for them :crabblush:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am

Hi! Welcome to the HCA and the addicting world of crabbing!!

Look at how cute they are! Make sure they can get in and out of whatever you use as a water pool. You can use craft mesh or aquarium decor in the water. Hermit crabs can drown. I've seen mine in the water for up to 2 hours before.

Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at a time. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com