Saltwater Dilemma

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
SibylW

Saltwater Dilemma

Post by SibylW » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 am

So basically,, I bought a couple of crabs to kinda try to occupy my time during, y'know, trying to stay indoors. And I've had exotic pets before so I thought It'd be a cinch. I have a big aquarium that's just sitting empty rn anyway.
So I went ahead and bought 2 crabs (Crabitha and Crabigail). I've had them for 3 days and they seem really healthy!! Crabigail hides a lot during the day but when she thinks I can't see her she comes out and eats and climbs all around. And Crabitha just Never slows down. She's moving every time I check on her.
But here's the problem: I didn't realize they needed seawater when I bought them. So, just go out and buy some aquarium salt and mix some up, right? That'd be the smart thing? Well I can't. I live on an island. The nearest pet store or Walmart is a 45 minute drive and a 3 hour ferry ride away. And due to the ferry schedules I won't be able to get there for another 3 days.
Would it be possible? For me to use ocean water until then? I have been researching it but the answers kinda vary. Aside from the salt water I've provided everything else they need; hides, food and treats, things to climb, a nice deep substrate, extra shells, and of course fresh water. They seem fine right now but I don't want their health to deteriorate. So I guess just, would it be better to use the ocean water or just wait 3 more days? How soon do they need it?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Saltwater Dilemma

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 am

I would wait. The risk of using water straight from the ocean is that there could be bacteria, microplastics, etc in it. You could also order from somewhere like Amazon, if you are unable to make the drive/ ferry ride. And be sure that you are getting marine salt, like Instant Ocean, it has all the necessary minerals they need.
Are you using a dechlorinator? You will need that to treat the water prior to mixing up the Instant Ocean.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:29 am

I agree with curlysister, I just wanted to say Hello, and welcome to the HCA! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
SibylW

Post by SibylW » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Sounds great. Thank y'all so much! And I've just been using distilled water. Is that alright? Like, to use instant ocean with?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:34 pm

Yes, it is.