Ayyy, new wannabe crab-owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
heyyitsinky

Ayyy, new wannabe crab-owner

Post by heyyitsinky » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 pm

So yeah, y'all can call me Inky. I don't have any crabs yet, but I'm considering getting a couple. I have to temporarily rehome some of my cats until I can sell my condo and move (thanks to the Homeowner's Association not minding their business lol),and I was thinking of filling the void with a couple of hermies. I had a pair when I was a kid but that...didn't go well. But now that I'm (much) older, I've been wanting to try again. Now seemed like a good time! So, here I am!

I do have some preparation questions tho. I'm planning on using a 10gal tank I got for a couple of plants that didn't make it (after it's cleaned out of course). I know that's viable, but exactly how *many* crabs would that be viable for? I plan to get a larger tank once I'm in a bigger house and have my finances straight, but even if that's only a year or two, I don't wanna crowd any crab-children I get. I'm leaning towards 3 'cause I see a lot of sources say that 3 or more is best for them. Would that be viable, or would 3 crabs be too crowded in that tank? I'll probably think of other questions but that's the big one on my mind right now. Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance ❤

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ayyy, new wannabe crab-owner

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Three smalls would be comfortable in a ten gal for a few years. See our stocking guide: viewtopic.php?t=92541

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:46 pm

Hello! I just want to for-warn you that the crabbing world is highly addicting...and once you start you will want a bigger tank. You really can't do much in a 10 gallon. They can be hard to get the temperature and humidity right in as well. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:34 am

I have two teenys and one small in a 20 gallon long!!!
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

Topic author
heyyitsinky

Post by heyyitsinky » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:08 pm

I'll definitely be getting a larger tank as soon as I can, trust me. If I get a house that's big enough one day I'd love to have a few dozen across multiple tanks. Maybe a "crab room". But for now I'm just *starting* with 3 or 4 smalls in a 10-gal. And I appreciate the advice and warm welcomes!