New (slightly worried) crab owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Stamenoftheshaman

New (slightly worried) crab owner

Post by Stamenoftheshaman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 am

Hi everyone! I got 2 crabs almost two weeks ago. I did a ton of research ahead of time (a lot using this forum!) and got a decent setup. I fell in love with the adorable little things almost immediately. Which makes this worse lol. One of them went and burrowed almost as soon as I put him in. The other explored and climbed for a while before disappearing. They haven't been up since, as far as I can tell. Food untouched etc. I know, I know, it's totally normal for them to do this in order to destress or molt. But the other day I accidentally bumped into the table (pretty hard) where the tank is sitting. I'd read something that said if they're molting, they make a cave in the substrate and if it collapses, it can kill them? I've been anxious for days and keep sniffing the tank. It just smells salty and wet. Little bit of funk from the eco earth too. So what I'm wondering is, is it possible I've killed them? Also can you smell a dead crab if it's under the substrate? I've resisted the urge to dig and check on them and will continue to do so.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb post. I looked and couldn't find much info. I've been on the verge of tears, worrying that I killed them, and need some input. Anyway. Thank you. Here's hoping that I'm not a murderer. Lmao

LittleCinderella

Re: New (slightly worried) crab owner

Post by LittleCinderella » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 am

Oh my! You just expressed my feelings exactly! I have four, one I can't find and one that's not moved for a week. I figure the one I can't find is buried and the one on the surface who hasn't moved, I lift him up every day to sniff him and make sure he isn't dead.

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you receive!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 am

Not a dumb post, we get so attached to the little cuties!
I wouldn't think that bumping the tank/ table would be enough to collapse a tunnel. I know it's hard, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Stamenoftheshaman

Post by Stamenoftheshaman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Been over a month but wanted to update to offer solace to newbies who might have been in a similar situation and found this post. My crabs surfaced almost back to back a few days ago. They're bigger, more vibrant, and HUNGRY. So curlysister was right. Do not worry, other paranoid newbies. It did not bother them or their tunnels at all when I bumped into the table.

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Cool! :)
Off and on land hermit crab keeper since 1985. Currently with two Coenobita clypeatus: "Young Nastyman!" (since November 10, 2011) and "Lobster Festival" (since June 11, 2012) kept solo, each in their own tanks.