Buried crabs

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Misty61

Buried crabs

Post by Misty61 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:23 am

Hi there. I’m new to having hermit crabs. I brought three home from the beach and am truly distraught. I’ve read and researched everything I could. However, my crabs have been buried since literally June 1, with the exception of when I put them in a bigger tank. It is now July15. I had three. The biggest crab stayed unburied, molted and then died. I can’t keep the tank at a constant temp. It goes to 79’ - 80’ in daytime and down to 70’-72’ at night. I definitely am having trouble getting the humidity to 80%. I have two pad heaters and lamp, distilled water and salt water, three different foods daily (veggies, pellets, dried shrimp), lots of stuff for them to climb on and explore, the eco earth substrate and mist daily. They are in a 20 gallon tank. Any suggestions, advice and or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, Misty

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Buried crabs

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:56 pm

Hello :) Welcome to the HCA!

I'm sorry that you are having issues!
Could you please fill this out for me? This will help me help you easier!
Help Template: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Misty61

Post by Misty61 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm

I answered all of your questions, but have not heard back from you. Did you get my response to your questions?

Misty

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Sorry to hear that.

Can you give any more details? A description or pic of tank could help.

Pics are tricky. The arnt embedded. They are links to somewhere online you can control and copy the link or web address.

PPS post petshop syndrome is normal. Mine have all done it to degrees at times. Some immediately used hides or burrowed. Some explored some and stayed up a day. Some stay above surface for days. Some are more active than others. Purple pinchers are mostly nocturnal. I can go days without seeing any of my 5 crabs durring the day. Mine start to wake up around dusk. 1 hour after dusk maybe 50% I see 1. I rarely see them all at the same time. Some I sometimes see at day and others almost never. They have personabilities for sure.

Dont worry too much if you dont see them for say 2 weeks. If the food and water have signs of use they are probably ok. I hear they if dead they smell of dead fish.

The temp sounds fine. Humidity can be toughy. A temp and hydrometer were 1 of my first purchases. I recommend lots of items that can hold humidity. Wood, twine, bark, water dishes (probably 1/2 my humidity comes from my large water dishes), coconut fiber that's moist (not dripping wet), a partial lid cover.

Sounds like your doing lots of recommended things. Mine was a screen top and I covered 2/3 of it with corrugated plastic sheet. That upped my humidity by +10%.

Surface molt considered bad. Could have been sick, scared, stressed out ect. I'm hoping you knew it was dead and not just weak after molt. They will eat their old exoskeleton but are very fragile and week for a time. Other crabs could have killed it. They are scavengers. A way to isolate a surface molt can help. An isolation tank can help. Cut the top several inches off a large plastic bottle on the lid side. Cover crab and push down an inch so it doesnt move. Check regularly and remove when crab seems done molting. Maybe put tiny bit of food water. Maybe a small bottle cap.

Good luck
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:56 pm

Misty61 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm
I answered all of your questions, but have not heard back from you. Did you get my response to your questions?

Misty
Misty, you will need to copy and paste the questions into a new comment on this thread, and then answer the questions. If you sent it by private message, it may not have been received.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:23 pm

I'm not seeing it Misty....

Edit: She did pm me to ask me if I received it, but I didn't. I'm not sure what happened.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Misty,
Any more info?
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long