New Crab Owner - need advice about habitat

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Gsimpson30

New Crab Owner - need advice about habitat

Post by Gsimpson30 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 pm

We purchased two hermit crabs from a beach store while in Florida on Wednesday. We had no idea what we were getting into until I came upon this website. Based on your recommendations, I bought all the necessary things from Amazon for them but they will not arrive until Sunday. Right now I just have them in this plastic container with a lid we got from the store. Will they be ok in there until then? Is it best to keep them indoors or should I keep them outside since it’s hot and humid (we’re in Georgia)?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crab Owner - need advice about habitat

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:22 pm

I would at least try to keep humidity at 70% or above to protect their gills. Keeping them outside (out of direct sunlight, it’ll heat up their container like a greenhouse) may work if it’s humid enough, otherwise you can wrap the lid in plastic wrap to hold in moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Gsimpson30

Post by Gsimpson30 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks. It’s 79% humidity outside and 81 right now. I’ll put them on my deck for now.

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 am

If you can keep their tank at 80 degrees and 80% humidity they’ll be fine.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Welcome. Good luck

What kind of plastic container? Like a Tupperware container? A critter keeper for kids that's 2x height of shoe box? Maybe it has vents or lid?

Glad your in Georgia's. Sounds perfect climate for them.

Cover the basics for now. Food, fresh water, hermi crab safe salt water, temp/humidity almost a given for your climate, place to hide, and any amount of safe substrate you can.

Maybe bring it at nights for now. Try to get them at least 2 shoe box size container. Tupperware, plastic tub, bucket, ect. Standard practice to cover lid so crabs dont get out and to keep humidity in. Can cover with loose plastic wrap like substance. Can use tiny plastic dishes
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long