New, Have Qs

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
shn

New, Have Qs

Post by shn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi! I wanna create a viv for a 4-10 hermit crabs. It'll be my first time keeping them. I have a few qs that I'd like clarity/advice on, please:
  • Can pothos (of any sort) go in their habitat?
  • I plan to surround the viv with house plants. Should I be concerned about anything?
  • Can a small cinderblock go in hermit crab tank, as a hide? (I want to grow moss over it.)
  • Budget-friendly thermometer and/or hygrometer recommendation?
  • Budget-friendly dechlorinator recommendation?
  • I'd prefer to "rescue" crabs, but is there some other respected, reputable source?
  • Can I use bamboo placemats for the background/at all?
I live in New Orleans. We have central air/heat on pretty much 24/7, between 70-75°. I plan to put the viv either underneath the window or on the opposite wall, about 1-2 feet off the ground in either case. I'm waiting to hear back about a 20 gal aquarium; if not that, I'm prob converting a big plastic tub. I haven't had any luck with local rescues, so I've been looking online. Everyone says they won't ship if it's over ~80°. It doesn't cool off here until December-February, so I figured I'd spend time starting a clean up crew "farm" and getting the setup ready.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New, Have Qs

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:17 am

Yes, pothos of any type can go in.

I doubt surrounding the setup would cause issues.

Yes, a cinderblock can be used.

SeaChem Prime is probably your best bet. A small bottle can last a year or more.

Placemats are food safe so they can be used.

I would use caution about your vivarium placement since direct sunlight can heat it up fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CombatMist

Re: New, Have Qs

Post by CombatMist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:10 am

Good luck with vivarium. Sounds fun

A temp and hydrometer combo as myself you can get on sale for under $6. Look online at petco, petsmart, walmart ect

For plants consider plants that are good indoors and require no direct sunlight. That will give more options of where the tank can go. I've considered air plants. Note the crabs through nibbling and climbing can end up killing the plants.
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long