Looking for thin striped hermit crab advice

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Jason0826

Looking for thin striped hermit crab advice

Post by Jason0826 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Hello, I recently got some thin striped hermit crabs and am currently setting up a reef tank. Does anyone know if these crabs can live 100% submerged? I’ve seen them in people’s tanks but didn’t know if they needed to be on land occasionally. It’s tough finding a lot of care instructions for this species so any help is appreciated.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Looking for thin striped hermit crab advice

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Hello! I don't think we have too many members that own marine hermit crabs. You might want to check some saltwater aquarium groups as well. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:05 am

Yes, these need to be kept 100% submerged. They are not land crabs, even though they can be found above the water line in the wild scavenging for food. Extended periods (days) above water can cause lasting and sometimes permanent damage, even though they can survive for a few weeks on land in some cases. In aquariums, they are kept as fully marine.

As far as care, it is the same as other marine hermits, although temperature should try to match where they were collected from.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Jason0826

Post by Jason0826 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks for the help. I’ve got a 14 gallon reef tank coming Monday and have them is sand substrate and salt water until then.