shell

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
bean123

shell

Post by bean123 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Hiii!!
So today i got a hermit crab for a board walk in new jersery. It came in a yellow shell that has a smiley face on it, i got to pick out a bigger shell for when it’s ready to switch. I am keeping a close eye on it making sure it’s okay, i keep noticing the it’s switching from the smaller shell to the bigger shell back to the smaller shell and i’m very confused on why. If there is anyone who can help me i would greatly appreciate it, Thank you:)

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: shell

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:46 pm

They need at least 2-3 bigger shells to choose from. Also, painted shells should be removed once the crab has gotten out of that shell.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Welcome to crabbing! Unfortunately, the shops at the boardwalks often don't know much about crab care. You will want to check out the FAQ and Care Sheets section for pretty much everything you need to know about crab care.

Start with the 'basics' page:

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273

And then be sure to check out all the other individual topics:

viewforum.php?f=120
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 am

Good luck with the shell baby

My crabs and as you will hear can change shells for no apparent reason.

Example. I got a 10 pack of turbo shells in the size range of 1/3 - 1 1/4 inch. That afternoon I saw 1 change shells to bigger. That evening saw my small upsize. Then the same 1 again a day later upsized again to 2 sizes bigger than original which was too small. He then molted and a few days after surfacing took the old shell of the 1st to change. Again went up in size. I've seen both of those 2 temporarily change shells for a few minutes then switch back. Since the biggest shell was taken I added back in the next biggest shell if my bigger 1 wants to upsize again. It makes sense since after molting, hardening up and eating regularly again they may want to upsize as they get used to their new physical size.

Shells are likes shoes. You need to try them on and walk around to see if a good fit. They may change shells based on molting. Pre molt they may want smaller then bigger later.

So far mine were very excited to have multiple shells to check out. Its them shell shopping
Last edited by CombatMist on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am

HermitofHermitCrabs wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:46 pm
They need at least 2-3 bigger shells to choose from. Also, painted shells should be removed once the crab has gotten out of that shell.
HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. But more is never a bad thing! Be sure to check out the 'shell' guide, as there are appropriate and inappropriate shells to buy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:54 am

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am
HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. But more is never a bad thing! Be sure to check out the 'shell' guide, as there are appropriate and inappropriate shells to buy.
Sure, but sometimes space doesn’t permit 5 extra shells per crab.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Ya its tricky for sure.

I feel like a crabitat is like playing jinga and tetris. How can I get the most volume of usable space while using the least amount of floor space.

Many crabbers build up with second level platforms, branches, nets, bridges, hanging things ect.

Crabs take a fair amount of initial space. Get creative. Maybe that's part of recommended minimum space of hm 5 gallon tank. 1/2 of that will be food, 2 waters, hide, something to climb on and enough room for crab to fit between it all. For a small tank try small food and water dishes. Could save 1/2 the floor space.

My next tank in building an elevated shell shop out of a plastic doller tree tiny basket and dowls glued to bottom to elevate it and dowls attached together to make a ramp. Then they can hide under ramp, full access to below, climb ramp, change shells.

Feel like almost everything in my crabitat is multipurpose
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long