Hermit crab help please

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Cjwaibel

Re: Hermit crab help please

Post by Cjwaibel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote: It looks like he may just be digging around since he's closer to the surface. Does he move at all if you go near the tank? His colors still look pretty bright, so he's probably just hanging out. Usually a fishy smell will appear after a crab has died (not always tho). Just from the pic, I'd say he's ok. You'll probably notice him elsewhere in the tank tonight.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Awesome thank you he seems to be out of his shell so I was just scared for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Cjwaibel wrote: Awesome thank you he seems to be out of his shell so I was just scared for him

You're welcome! Just keep an eye on him. I really don't think he'd molt there because it's too close to the surface. Let me know if he moves around later. Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Cjwaibel wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 pm
Awesome thank you he seems to be out of his shell so I was just scared for him

What do you mean out of his shell? Less shy? Or no longer in his shell?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Cjwaibel

Post by Cjwaibel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: What do you mean out of his shell? Less shy? Or no longer in his shell?
He looks like he’s out of his shell upside down he moves when we get near the cage we’re just praying he makes it

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:59 pm

Cjwaibel wrote: He looks like he’s out of his shell upside down he moves when we get near the cage we’re just praying he makes it

If he ditches his shell, you'll have to isolate him and get him back in a shell asap. I hope that doesn't happen though. When he moves around, does it still look like he's losing his shell?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Cjwaibel

Post by Cjwaibel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:01 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote: If he ditches his shell, you'll have to isolate him and get him back in a shell asap. I hope that doesn't happen though. When he moves around, does it still look like he's losing his shell?

Update: he was just playing I’m not sure but he dug like a tunnel and is just moving around the cage.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am

Cjwaibel wrote: Update: he was just playing I’m not sure but he dug like a tunnel and is just moving around the cage.

Sorry I wasn't on earlier. I don't have any electric from a storm, and my phone signal wouldn't allow me on the internet.
It sounds like he's doing ok if he's up and about. I can't remember if I mentioned it here, but do you have any organic/local honey? It's a good healing food. It could give him a little boost. Image

Topic author
Cjwaibel

Post by Cjwaibel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:04 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote: Sorry I wasn't on earlier. I don't have any electric from a storm, and my phone signal wouldn't allow me on the internet.
It sounds like he's doing ok if he's up and about. I can't remember if I mentioned it here, but do you have any organic/local honey? It's a good healing food. It could give him a little boost. Image

Oh I like that idea for sure we don’t have any but I can get some.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Cjwaibel wrote: Oh I like that idea for sure we don’t have any but I can get some.

How's the crabby doing today? Yeah, def grab some honey if/when you can. It's a good thing to keep in hand.

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:28 pm

Cjwaibel wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 pm
Is he Molting or dead and how can I tell

Ps I didnt say dont handle crabs. Most suggest not daily or long. I generally only handle my crabs on crabitat cleaning day weekly and only those who arnt hiding for a few minutes.

The pic
I call it "crab window"!
Seems normal and safe and I wouldn't be concerned. If anything at least you can see them and know they are ok.

Mine do it occasionally that I notice. Actually saw 1 of my newer ones this morning doing it. For mine when they make a window it's about 1-2 inches down but have seen it at bottom of tank. They make a small cave to sit in. They almost always are looking through the glass into the room. They will sit there near motionless staring out for hours. Crabs feel safe underground from predators, humans and when they want to be alone. They can still observe the outside while safe. My tank is in my living room.

I think of it like a cat or dog staring out window for hours. They can observe the outside without having to be in it. The cat and dog could go outside but maybe they would rather just look instead.
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long

Topic author
Cjwaibel

Post by Cjwaibel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 pm

CombatMist wrote: Ps I didnt say dont handle crabs. Most suggest not daily or long. I generally only handle my crabs on crabitat cleaning day weekly and only those who arnt hiding for a few minutes.

The pic
I call it "crab window"!
Seems normal and safe and I wouldn't be concerned. If anything at least you can see them and know they are ok.

Mine do it occasionally that I notice. Actually saw 1 of my newer ones this morning doing it. For mine when they make a window it's about 1-2 inches down but have seen it at bottom of tank. They make a small cave to sit in. They almost always are looking through the glass into the room. They will sit there near motionless staring out for hours. Crabs feel safe underground from predators, humans and when they want to be alone. They can still observe the outside while safe. My tank is in my living room.

I think of it like a cat or dog staring out window for hours. They can observe the outside without having to be in it. The cat and dog could go outside but maybe they would rather just look instead.
He’s been doing good been watching him and he loves his tank been misting his cage and we’re working on getting his diet situated thank you for all the help

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Cjwaibel wrote: He’s been doing good been watching him and he loves his tank been misting his cage and we’re working on getting his diet situated thank you for all the help

Glad to hear he's doing well!