I’m new, and I have a few questions

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Zazaoohlala

I’m new, and I have a few questions

Post by Zazaoohlala » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello! I haven’t had a hermit crab since I was little and kept it in one of those death trap plastic bins the store gave me. I want to be better this time, and I’m doing a ton of research, but some things aren’t clear to me. A friend of mine is moving and offered me the crab, so I’m going to take it and give it a 10 gallon home. The little guy has been alone for awhile now, but would it be smart to get him a friend anyways? From my research I understood they’re social creatures, but I don’t know if the hermit crab has been away from others so long that they wouldn’t get along with a friend. Also, I’ve heard people say get sand and don’t get sand. That’s not too helpful, since I can’t tell what substrate I should use. Can I use sand, Finally, it’s the middle of summer where I am, and we keep our house at around 70-72 degrees. Do we need a heating pad for the crab? Thank you!

jonathon1989

Re: I’m new, and I have a few questions

Post by jonathon1989 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the Hermit Crab Association. You have come to the right place for crab care.

For Substrate: Children's Playsand (silica based) or cocofiber, or a mix of the two, and many crabbers prefer a 5:1 mixture of sand to cocofiber. Must be kept moistened, enough so the substrate keeps it's shape when squeezed but not so much it drips. Substrate must be at least three times deeper than the crab is big, which usually means filling the aquarium halfway.

I personally use Eco Earth Coconut fiber substrate and it has worked good for me. I mix in aquatic substrate to add humidity.

I would recommend a heating pad or a heat source safe for hermit crabs. They are cold blooded and are dependent on their environment to regulate their body temperature.

I would recommend a tank mate since hermit crabs are social creatures. Just make sure to get a crab the same size as the one you have now.

It would also be beneficial to eventually upgrading to a 20 gallon so the crabs have room to grow.

Do you know what species your hermit crab is?

HCA Full Care Guide: viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273

HCA Crabitat: Lights - Heating, Viewing, and UVB Guide: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92543