Question about digging

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Sammi63108

Question about digging

Post by Sammi63108 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:57 am

I am new to crabbing the right way I guess you could say I had 3 friends a long time ago probably 12+ years ago when I got them. They surprisingly lasted 2.5-3 years being that I was a kiddo and didn't know I was taking care of them wrong 😭 my aunt surprised my daughter with 3 hermies from the ocean. Im still busy catching up on things, I know I can't dig them out of their burrows but I got a small tank, heating pad, eco earth, a hiding hut, and some cork wood? I think. The pet stores near me were sold out of a lot of things so I had to order prime and instant ocean off amazon, that was all I could afford for the time being so i will have to get some shells and a hygrometer when I get paid next was not expecting these little guys to be so expensive!😂 Anyways, my only question for the time being is when the crabs dig themselves down is it okay for them to be completely covered? 2 of them immediately went to digging when I put them in and one of them I could see through the top where it dug through but the other is completely covered.. He'll be okay right? How do they breath while being completely covered?? Sorry if this is a silly question just have only seen to never dig them up but im not sure how to tell if he'll get stuck under the wood or hiding hut. Thank you for your time! And please let me know if im missing any supplies 😊

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about digging

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am

It is totally normal and okay for them to be completely under the sub. They usually do back-fill their tunnels. They make a little cave so they don't suffocate under there.
Once you have your set up, things get less expensive! LOL! If you can get a digital thermometer/ hygrometer sooner rather than later, that would be good. They do need high humidity to breathe through their modified gills. Acurite is a popular brand, you can often find them for around ten dollars.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:45 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am
It is totally normal and okay for them to be completely under the sub. They usually do back-fill their tunnels. They make a little cave so they don't suffocate under there.
Once you have your set up, things get less expensive! LOL! If you can get a digital thermometer/ hygrometer sooner rather than later, that would be good. They do need high humidity to breathe through their modified gills. Acurite is a popular brand, you can often find them for around ten dollars.
Okay, thank you so much! I will have try to find one. This morning I went to check on them and one of the others decided to dig and lay on top of the one that was buried?? Haha is that okay or should I move the one on top?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:54 am

Hi! I just wanted to say welcome to the HCA! Welcome also to the addictive world of crabbing! Make sure that you have your UTH (Heater) on the back or the side of the tank and not on the bottom. Us crabbers use them to heat the air. :)

We are here if you have any questions :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 am

Sammi63108 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:45 am
Okay, thank you so much! I will have try to find one. This morning I went to check on them and one of the others decided to dig and lay on top of the one that was buried?? Haha is that okay or should I move the one on top?
As long as you have at least 6" of substrate, you will be fine :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:02 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:54 am
Hi! I just wanted to say welcome to the HCA! Welcome also to the addictive world of crabbing! Make sure that you have your UTH (Heater) on the back or the side of the tank and not on the bottom. Us crabbers use them to heat the air. :)

We are here if you have any questions :)
😲 really?! Okay I'll have to move it then!! I never knew that thank you! I will also have to measure my substrate in a little im unsure right now

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Sammi63108 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:02 pm
😲 really?! Okay I'll have to move it then!! I never knew that thank you! I will also have to measure my substrate in a little im unsure right now
:) If it doesn't stick when you go to move it, you can use duct tape on the edges to help keep it down. Be very careful when peeling it up so that you don't damage the heating coils. :)

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Is it supposed to be above the substrate or start at the bottom of the substrate and go up? Also, I've measured my substrate in at 5" the crabbies themselves are pretty small probably double the size of a quarter will they be okay until I can get some play sand? I have money for it just no time today I might be able to get out to get some tomorrow

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Sammi63108 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:15 pm
Is it supposed to be above the substrate or start at the bottom of the substrate and go up? Also, I've measured my substrate in at 5" the crabbies themselves are pretty small probably double the size of a quarter will they be okay until I can get some play sand? I have money for it just no time today I might be able to get out to get some tomorrow
I recommend above the substrate. You want to heat the air :)

Your crabbies will be fine until you can do it. Crabs love to dig. The substrate should be 6" or three times the height of your crabs. Whichever is deeper wins. This is so they have ample space for when it comes time for them to molt :) Then, when you add the sand, mix it with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater so it is sandcastle consistency :)

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Okay thanks 😊 how will i mix it if my hermie is still under? Im not sure what's up with the one who apparently likes to live underground he looked healthy, happy and hairy so I hope he's gonna be okay!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 pm

If one is still under, you cannot mix. Also, if you have one under, you can only add 1" of substrate per day. :)

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:17 am

Exciting news! My prime, instant ocean will be here tomorrow!😁 How much of the instant ocean and prime will I need to add since I'm imagining the bag/bottle will be directions for a large batch?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01 am

Smaller quantities are listed here too:

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=92553
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CombatMist

Post by CombatMist » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Welcome to hca

Sounds like your off to a good start. Hermit crabs are completely different from most pets. Lots to learn. Just learn a little at a time and keep trying to improve the crabitat. It's a never ending diy project.

Show pics of the tank for more specific feedback. Sounds like you have medium crabs. Any idea what species

Digging is among hermit crab pass times. Along with climbing upside down and staring out of the tank though shallow holes like windows. Most are nocturnal and as extotherms dont need to eat as often as say mammals of compatible size. They dont need to eat daily but always have it available. They dig to sleep, molt, scared, alone time, temp, humidity, boredom...
Craber since (december 2019)
5 pps, 1 successful molt 🥳
20 gallon long