Impulse buy SOS

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
aspearson

Impulse buy SOS

Post by aspearson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 pm

I am in the Outer Banks in North Carolina for a vacation and got a Hermit Crab from a beach store. I got one, my sister got one and her fiancé got one. After getting back to the house we rented we started researching how to take care of them (I realize we should have done that in the opposite order but it's too late now). My sister and her fiancé are going to keep their's in the same tank and mine will be in a separate tank (I know I will need to get a second to keep mine company). We already ordered a few 10 gallon tanks that we will pick up when we get back to New York tomorrow night.We have read the guidelines on this website about how to set up the tanks. Right now we have them in the mesh cages they came in. We are keeping the cages outside as much as possible because outside here is the right temperature and humidity level. I am looking for advice on what to do to keep them as safe and comfortable as possible for our 10+ hour drive home tomorrow. Once we get through that and get the tanks I may have more questions. Also, when I get my second one should I look for one a similar size to mine or does that not matter? He is itty bitty, like an inch across if that.

crabs_lex

Re: Impulse buy SOS

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:50 pm

dont let them get too cold if you have the ac on and trying and keep it very humid for them
just for the ride home they would be okay in a tiny plastic cage most places sell them in or even a pretty big tuppaware container with holes
but they will need water and some natural food ti nibble on

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 pm

crabs_lex wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:50 pm
dont let them get too cold if you have the ac on and trying and keep it very humid for them
just for the ride home they would be okay in a tiny plastic cage most places sell them in or even a pretty big tuppaware container with holes
but they will need water and some natural food ti nibble on
They are in wire cages, I'm riding home with my dad who tends to keep the ac high, do you think wrapping the cage in a beach towel would help keep them more comfortable? Also, should I use the spray bottle I have to make it a bit wetter or would that make them colder?

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:03 am

you should be okay doing that so the air isnt directly on them or anything so you should be fine with doing that and yes a spray bottle will be good to keep up humitity throughout the drive
and dont forget once they are in their bigger tanks that they will need the water to be dechlorinated before drinking it so it wont harm them

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:30 am

crabs_lex wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:03 am
you should be okay doing that so the air isnt directly on them or anything so you should be fine with doing that and yes a spray bottle will be good to keep up humitity throughout the drive
and dont forget once they are in their bigger tanks that they will need the water to be dechlorinated before drinking it so it wont harm them
Right now I'm using plain bottled water. Is that ok for the freshwater and the spray bottle? He doesn't have saltwater right now and I am going to have to go to the pet store when I get home to get the salt additive.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 am

If you can get moss for the trip and dampen it, it's great for the trip. If you can wrap the cage in plastic that would help too.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 am

for the trip it will be okay but when you set up your tank you will want to use a product callled prime as a water conditioner and add that to tap water for fresh water and then for salt water add prime to tap water and a product called instant ocean as a salt mix

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 am
If you can get moss for the trip and dampen it, it's great for the trip. If you can wrap the cage in plastic that would help too.
I don't have moss but I have a wet sponge. I have seen that it should not be wet usually because it can grow bacteria but would that be a good alternative to moss for the car ride?

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:52 am

crabs_lex wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 am
for the trip it will be okay but when you set up your tank you will want to use a product callled prime as a water conditioner and add that to tap water for fresh water and then for salt water add prime to tap water and a product called instant ocean as a salt mix
I already ordered a box of instant ocean from Amazon and was planning to go to the pet store to get something that would work until that comes.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:01 am

sounds good
and a wet sponge would be fine just for the ride

doth

Post by doth » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:01 pm

it is ok if the new crab is a different size as the one you have as long as it is small enough for a 10gal. there is a chart on one of the care sheets here that shows roughly how much space different size crabs need. best of luck, crabbies are a lot of fun and can live a long time with proper care :)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Update: He is happy in his new 10 gallon tank with his new sand, 2 water bowls, food bowl, 1 coconut hide and a few things to climb. I have more stuff coming tomorrow including a heating mat, some unpainted shells and some dehydrated proteins and I will be ordering and making more things for him to hide in and climb soon. His sand it only about 5 inches so I need to add another inch but he is less than an inch long so I will add it as soon as I can but I am not immediately concerned about that. For now I know even if his enclosure is kinda bare bones he is safe at about 98% humidity and 76°.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 pm

sounds good!!
i personally don’t like using sand i just use eco earth but other use eco earth mixed with sand
and is it only him in the tank?

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:35 pm

crabs_lex wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 pm
sounds good!!
i personally don’t like using sand i just use eco earth but other use eco earth mixed with sand
and is it only him in the tank?
I have a 5:1 mix of playsand and eco earth, I just have been calling it sand because it's easier. Right now it is only him but I am planning to get another in about 2 weeks. I just got back from vacation and I live in New York so I have to quarantine for 14 days. I am getting him a buddy as soon as I am allowed to leave the house again.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:46 pm

he’s sounds like one happy hermie and will be even happier when he gets his friend!! :)