Scared crab

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
aspearson

Re: Scared crab

Post by aspearson » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Well, it's been a week since I added the new crab and my old one still has not come out. Still thinking he's probably fine but I'm still a bit worried while I wait until he comes up again. Is there a reason that my old crab would be hiding from my new one? Should I separate them again or just keep waiting? I'm thinking I should just keep giving them space but it worries me a little.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi there! Welcome to the HCA! Hermit crabs are prey animals, so it is perfectly normal for them to be scared of you. Like another member mentioned, having lots of things for them to hide in when they get scared will help your crabs. Once they adjust to their environment, they will become a little more at ease.

Some people find that purchasing a Wyze camera (You can get them at Wyze.com or on Amazon) is the best way to view their crabs since they are mainly a nocturnal animal. These cameras are around $25 and run off of WIFI. :) Good luck! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:03 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 pm
Hi there! Welcome to the HCA! Hermit crabs are prey animals, so it is perfectly normal for them to be scared of you. Like another member mentioned, having lots of things for them to hide in when they get scared will help your crabs. Once they adjust to their environment, they will become a little more at ease.

Some people find that purchasing a Wyze camera (You can get them at Wyze.com or on Amazon) is the best way to view their crabs since they are mainly a nocturnal animal. These cameras are around $25 and run off of WIFI. :) Good luck! :)
I know, I have a wyze camera that I got less than a week after I got the first crab which I watch basically all night and I really only get in to the tank to change out water and food. He came out at every night to explore the tank for a little while once he got comfortable in the tank. Now he has been hiding since I added a second crab to the tank. Like I said in the last post, I know he is probably fine and will come out when he wants to but I just get a little concerned for him because he has been gone for a week since I added the new one.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:12 am

aspearson wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:03 am
I know, I have a wyze camera that I got less than a week after I got the first crab which I watch basically all night and I really only get in to the tank to change out water and food. He came out at every night to explore the tank for a little while once he got comfortable in the tank. Now he has been hiding since I added a second crab to the tank. Like I said in the last post, I know he is probably fine and will come out when he wants to but I just get a little concerned for him because he has been gone for a week since I added the new one.
Great - you will enjoy the camera ;) It's normal to be concerned. We've all been there! :) Your crab will be fine. Whenever you add a new crab it takes time for them to adjust. They have to establish their "chain of command" Make sure you have the proper shells in your tank so that the crabs don't try to shell jack one another. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

Here is something else I like to provide new hermit crab owners: Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at all times. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:28 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:12 am
Great - you will enjoy the camera ;) It's normal to be concerned. We've all been there! :) Your crab will be fine. Whenever you add a new crab it takes time for them to adjust. They have to establish their "chain of command" Make sure you have the proper shells in your tank so that the crabs don't try to shell jack one another. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

Here is something else I like to provide new hermit crab owners: Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at all times. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Thank you, I have actually read all of those already, I found this website the day I got the first one a month ago and have basically read the entire forum. I know he'll probably be fine, I just find myself watching anxiously every night because the new crab and old crab still have not met in the week they have been together. My old one is also just a bit more skittish than the new one, he hides for about 2 or 3 nights after anything new gets added to the tank so I guess it makes sense that a new living creature would cause him to hide longer than a new stick. As far as the shells, there are 2 crabs in there with about 14-17 shells in the right size in a variety of styles, most with round openings but some without. The new crab actually has chosen a little conch shell that is a bit too big and has shown no interest in any of the round ones or ones that are the right size. I guess he's just a little weirdo and if that is the one he likes that works for me.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 am

Yw! Did you actually look at the shell guide? They really don't like conch shells. Even though the shells may be round openings, they might not be preferred shells. The pet stores sell some good shells, but not many. You can find good shells on Ebay, Etsy and some directly through shell shops.

When the crabs do meet, you will see them climb on one another. This is normal. As long as neither one of them chirps - it's okay. :)

Topic author
aspearson

Post by aspearson » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:08 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 am
Yw! Did you actually look at the shell guide? They really don't like conch shells. Even though the shells may be round openings, they might not be preferred shells. The pet stores sell some good shells, but not many. You can find good shells on Ebay, Etsy and some directly through shell shops.

When the crabs do meet, you will see them climb on one another. This is normal. As long as neither one of them chirps - it's okay. :)
Yes, I did look at the shell guide which is why I was surprised when the crab picked that one. I had 1 conch in the tank but also had a lot of other shells including several different sizes and styles of turbos and a variety of other shells. Like I said before, I have 14-17 shells in there the right size but this crab looked at several shells and picked the conch shell. For the past week since I got him he has been surrounded by shells that I know are better for purple pinchers and it has shown no interest in any of them.