New Crab

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Jtdlmc

New Crab

Post by Jtdlmc » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:54 pm

I have had a single crab for 7-8 years and he is quite large. I got him a friend today who is very tiny. I have the new one in a small plastic tank right now. Crabbie is in a 10 gallon tank. Can I put them together? I never thought about the size difference before I purchased the new one today. Now I’m worried the big one will eat him!

CrabbyLover77

Re: New Crab

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Jtdlmc wrote:I have had a single crab for 7-8 years and he is quite large. I got him a friend today who is very tiny. I have the new one in a small plastic tank right now. Crabbie is in a 10 gallon tank. Can I put them together? I never thought about the size difference before I purchased the new one today. Now I’m worried the big one will eat him!
Usually crabs of all sizes can get along with each other. Take your newbie and gently dip him/her into the fresh or saltwater pool in the main tank. This will help him smell like the tank/environment. Then you can let him be and just watch how the 2 interact. Personally, I like to keep a close eye on my crabs for the first day or so when I introduce any newbies, just to make sure all is well. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Some people even dip both the new and the old crab so they smell the same.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:51 pm

That’s what I did and it worked out great my new crabs and my old ones get along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jtdlmc

Post by Jtdlmc » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks I will do the water thing and try them together tomorrow so I can keep an eye on them.