New to this Group

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Grayponylady

New to this Group

Post by Grayponylady » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:15 pm

Hello. I had hermit crabs among other animals in my classroom when I was teaching (high school science). I've been retired now for some years now and decided to add a couple of crabs to my household. I picked out 2 but then ended up buying all 7 -- I'm such a pushover! Living in Florida, I can house them outside until the weather gets too cold. I'm setting them up in the lanai a large transparent tote with a screen top. They'll have couple of 20-gal tanks in the kitchen to over winter. My goal is to eventually build a big walk-in habitat outside for the crabs and a couple of iguanas. I had something like this in New Mexico (with a tortoise in there as well). The hermits in that habitat were an excellent clean-up crew, picking up all the scraps and pieces that lizards and tank left behind. It was fun to watch them all come "running" when I brought their dinner. They love fish and shrimp ...
And that's about all I can say ...

FJrocks003

Re: New to this Group

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:34 pm

Wow, that seems like quite the project! As long as you know enough about hermit crabs it should go smoothly. The only thing I'd be concerned about is moving the in and out of the house each year, as it could be quite stressful for the crabs to be switching habitats so often, kinda like if you moved every 6 months. There could also be an issue if they were molting at the time you wanted to bring them in, sence you can't move them during a molt they might stay down there into the cold seasons and if it got too cold they would die. If you find a way around this, just make sure everything is escape proof, you wouldn't want a crab to dig it's way out and get lost, you should make sure the cage extends below the ground, not just above. I hope all goes well, it could be really cool if you found a way to make it work!
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to this Group

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:22 pm

We had a member in florida in the paat that did similar, and had their crabs sitting in a screened porch. I think it could work, and I'm sure they would enjoy the outdoor time!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies