Is this crab healthy?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
xambackwards

Is this crab healthy?

Post by xambackwards » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi all!
Since I upgraded my tank to a 15 gallon with a 10 gallon topper I decided to get another crab!

I just adopted this crab from kijiji a week ago, at first him and my first crab (i’ve had almost 4 years) we’re fighting with chirping etc but I stayed up all night watching them (I dipped the new crab into the freshwater) and now they seem to be comfortable with eachother. I just was wondering what does the bright red colour of the new crab mean? (new crab is larger and in yellow shell) Is he going to molt soon? I just added more substrate so I have 7-8 inches at the higher part. Is that enough for his size? He is much larger than my current crab.
One other thing is I need more shells for these two as thy are large and I only have roughly 4-5 extra shells that will fit them each good. I also have been feeding dried shrimp, eggshells and scrambled eggs recently so they don’t convert to cannibalism lol ;)

Also I need to add more to the topper such as a hammock and miss out, feel free to post pictures of your toppers as well as ideas for mine!

(ps: I need another heater to get that 76f to 80f, I am getting one within the next week, humidity always 80-90)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJrocks003

Re: Is this crab healthy?

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:32 am

The color is normal, some crabs are just darker than others. As for molting, check the tips of he claws if they are duller than normal then he will need to molt soon. Also, that substrate needs to be deeper, the tank you have is 12" tall so it looks like you have 3"-5". It should be at least 6", if you want a slope make to lower end 6".
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
xambackwards

Re: Is this crab healthy?

Post by xambackwards » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 am

the substrate is 8 inches, this tank is taller than 12 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk