Possibly getting hermit crabs.

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Werelkate

Possibly getting hermit crabs.

Post by Werelkate » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 am

Hiya everyone, I want to get hermit crabs! So obviously I'm starting off by researching them to make sure they are right for me, caring for them, etc. So I've got LOTS of questions.

1- Are hermit crabs hard to care for? (In you opinion)
2- Would you reccomend having a pair or a group of hermit crabs?
3- Could I keep them in a detolf?
4- What and how much should I feed them?
5- Would you reccomend play sand as substrate? Would I need to staralize it first?
6- Do you have any websites or YouTube channels about hermit crabs that you reccomend?

Thanks for your time.

HappyHermit0916

Re: Possibly getting hermit crabs.

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:16 am

Werelkate wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 am
Hiya everyone, I want to get hermit crabs! So obviously I'm starting off by researching them to make sure they are right for me, caring for them, etc. So I've got LOTS of questions.

5- Would you reccomend play sand as substrate? Would I need to staralize it first?
6- Do you have any websites or YouTube channels about hermit crabs that you reccomend?

Thanks for your time.
Hi!!!!
1. Yes/No. Once you get all the basics they are.
2. I have 3 hermit crabs but it is just up to u!
3. No I don't think so
4. I recommend that u do not feed pet store food cause it will KILL your hermit crabs
5. If I want to me we play sand u do not have to sterilize it but I recommend u use it with eco earth
6.I have a hermit crab YouTube channel
Here is the link: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
Happy crabing!!!
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

Enson

Post by Enson » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:28 am

Werelkate wrote:Hiya everyone, I want to get hermit crabs! So obviously I'm starting off by researching them to make sure they are right for me, caring for them, etc. So I've got LOTS of questions.

Thanks for your time.
I'm new, so take this as you like. I got mine at the end of June. They are currently molting and have been down for almost 6 weeks. We'll see how well I did when/if they come up.. lol. Just thought the perspective of another newbie might help.

1. So far, the upkeep is easy. The setup is tough. So it's a bit of an investment (time and money) to get started, but it only takes a few minutes a day or every other day to upkeep.
2. Definitely more than 1. They are social animals and will be lonely. Also when they molt they may be gone for a while and you'll have pet decorations for a bit if you don't have several. (Only have two and both are down at the moment...I'm tempted to get more, but I don't have a good isolation tank setup yet.)
3. Idk what that is, but if it holds in moisture well and allows for deep substrate and lots of climbing space maybe.
4. There is a care sheet on these forums that lists safe foods, and even some commercial options. Also there are a lot of vendors of Etsy that ship fresh foods for hermits cheap.
5. All the guides say children's play sand (hardware store) and eco earth at a 5:1 ratio by volume. You're going to want 6 inches or 3 times the size of your largest crab in substrate height. Whichever value is larger. The 5:1 isn't a fixed value. It depends on ambient humidity. The eco earth helps the sand hold moisture, so if you're in a dry area you may need more. Or a humid area may need less. The play sand is for structure. The crabs need to be able to build solid caves for molting. Also children's play sand is washed and grated and not treated with chemicals. Which makes it a nice choice, and it doesn't need sterilized. The big thing to note is that it is a silica based sand. Most commerical hermit crab sands are calcium based. Calcium based sands tend to cement up when wet. This can cause problems for the hermits. Especially if they get it in their gills or stuck in their shell.
6. I haven't watched any youtube channels yet, but this site, crab street journal, and the r/hermitcrabs subreddit are where I've been researching the past few months. I might start checking out youtube channels.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 am

I would start by looking through the 'care sheets' section of this website. You will find pretty much everything you need to know about water, food, substrate, temp, humidity, etc.
A Deltof is an Ikea cabinet. It might be able to be modified, but if you look at the 'basics' care sheet, you will see that it would take a lot to modify it to hold the proper substrate, heat, and humidity. A tank/ aquarium or tote would be a better option.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers