How to check new crabs that are skiddish

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Enson

How to check new crabs that are skiddish

Post by Enson » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:46 pm

If your new crabs hide in their shells when you get close and won't come out until they can't see you anymore, what's the best way to check them for mites/other problems before transferring them to the main tank from iso? All I can get a close look at is their big claw and a leg or two. The claws both look nice and purple, but I can't check for mites like the guide shows. I'm worried about introducing any problems into my tank, but I'd like to get the new crabs into a better environment than my iso can provide.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to check new crabs that are skiddish

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:00 am

Hello! IMO it is VERY rare for crabs to have mites that are harmful. I've actually seen more issues with shell rot.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Enson

Re: How to check new crabs that are skiddish

Post by Enson » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:47 am

I was able to get a good look at one of them finally. I figured if one was clean the likelihood of the other one having issues was really low since they came from the same place. I went ahead and added them to my main tank. Thanks for the info though!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk