Adoption success stories.

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

annopia

Post by annopia » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:47 am

i know this is a bit different from the other post, but i would like to thank lilome for being kind enough to take in two medium PPs that I nursed back to health. Sassy came from desert conditions, no substrate, and no water at the local petsmart. she was also missing her big pincher and a walking leg, but in her next two molts she grew them back:

augustus pendercrab was a pity buy from a wire cage in an airconditioned shell shop in St. Augustine, Florida. the little guy was missing both walking legs on his bp side but regrew them in a molt. augustus before:

augustus after molting:

i have sooo much gratitude to lilome for giving these two social, active PPs a new home so that i have room to nurse other sick crabs back to health. she is the best! im from western NC and she's in the east, so we met halfway in raleigh one day when she was picking up another adoption. she cooed over these two lovelies and i knew that i had found them a great home!

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Adoption Success!

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:14 pm

I adopted 3 hermit crabs earlier today. Their names are Jade,Sashimi, and Dora. I went to adopt just crabs but got Eco earth, stress coat, water conditioner, sea salt, a huge tank, and a ton of other stuff plus food! It was all I've ever wished for and more!

Topic author

my story

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:05 pm

Adopted my first crab from a lady off Craiglist. Sad to say she didn't seem to care that much about talking to me. Responded to my email regarding the ad and when I arrived they had set everything outside and figured I knew what to do (fortunately I did). Hermie is doing awesome! Loves to switch shells :) and greet the newbies (such a sweetie). My next to adopted babies were thanks to THIS site!!! Flirt and Jack are active, sweet crabs. Flirt and Hermie esp. seem to have bonded. They explore the cage and their owner was very concerned about their well being and appreciative of what I offered to them. I rescued my last two but this is an adopted forum so that's it for my adopted stories! :wink:

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

Adoption success

Post by Dawn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:01 pm

I adopted a purple pincher yesterday from another board. The family lives in San Jose and would be going to Los Angeles so we met in Gorman. Boss has lived by himself for five years and Geoffrey has done his absolute best to give him everything he needs. He was more than alittle concerned that the one who adopted him would provide a good home so we talked for a long time and got to know eachother. it's good when people really care about their pets like Geoffrey and I do...Just because it's a lower life form doesn't mean it's life is any less valuable, we feel.

My husband and I have adopted over half a dozen times and we love to provide them with the best that we can...If that means driving for hours to pick them up at $4.50 a gallon for gas, SO BE IT.

We're picking up another 10 in Bakersfield next weekend...Oh, and we're working on another tank to spread out our brood of 55+ hermit crabs this week so we have room for the newbies...
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma

Topic author

adoption experiences...

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:40 pm

we just adopted for the first time...

October 18, 2008 - 4 PP's named "Elvis", Hermiosa (sp) - which my kids changed to "Aurora", "Pinchers", and "Hermie". All are healthy and active and were well taken care of by their former owner. can't wait to move them to the main tank :)

Would love to adopt any crabs needing a good home ;)

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Last month I adopted 14 new babies. There mom found me under the adoption forum. My mom came with me, so I wasn't alone, and she brought her family with her also. She gave me everything but the tank and heat lamps but I bought a new 40b tank for them 2 days later. I would adopt again since this was a great experience. One of my adopted babies , Lulu, is my avatar. thanks. :smt054
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:29 am

I adopted 8 more crabbies from knicker last week. Everything went smooth. Thanks
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

Topic author

Successful adoption

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:54 am

Today I gave my 2 darlings crabbies, Darnell and Ordell, to a wonderful new adoptive home. Hermielover10 and family met me at a mall parking lot after I had checked out their crab website. I gave them all my crab stuff and I can tell Darnell and Ordell will have a wonderful new home. I still have a very fragile crab, Ruby, who's underground. If she survives I hope that hermielover 10 will take her as well. If Ruby doesn't make it, I hope I can donate her crabitat and belongings.

THANK YOU HCA FOR HAVING THIS ADOPTION FORUM.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 am

Darnell and Ordell are doing wonderfully in their new home, all getting along perfectly and having lots of fun exploring. Here's some pictures of their tank that I decorated Saturday:

Thank you so much, lisalassie, for letting me adopt your babies and for being so generous and giving us all your crab stuff. I'm so glad the HCA has this forum :) [/img]

fiestycrab7

Post by fiestycrab7 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:22 pm

i adopted 6 beautiful hermies on this site. 5 pp's and 1 e. i got them through the mail. everything went great. all the crabs are healthy and active. great additions to my crab colony! if anyone needs tips on sending crabs through the mail just ask me. thank you hca for helping me give such beautiful crabs a great home!
fiesty crab >:@

Thecrabmaster1

Re: Adoption success stories.

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 am

I just adopted 2 fromm a freind who did not take care of them and wen he saw my tank for the first time he thought it would be best if i got them they are still not in the main tank but they love the stuff i added into there tank
i hope i helped
not really a master im kinda new
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)
and herman (purple pincher)

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi guys! I don't know if this goes here, because I did not adopt from the HCA, a lady contacted me asking me to take her crabbies in.

I recently adopted five PPs from a sweet old lady who wasn't able to care for them any more. They had eben with her for a few years, and were living in decent conditions, but a few things really needed improvement. They're all doing great, molting, shell swapping, and having fun :D
One guy is this really big large, I think a jumbo, and badly needed a bigger shell. The smallest little guy is the perkiest and friendliest, but is ghostly white, probably from poor diet after all these years.
I adopted the five crabbies and bought her 40 galllon tank :) I transformed it and the crabbies really like it :)
The white guy:

The medium pretty pink girl

Small guy in a moon snail, he changed into a way too big turbo right away!

This cutie has since changed and is still just as shy

Here's the big guy
"I don't wanna come out for a picture!" :lol:

Here he is in a nice big shell :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

jessigurl_31

Post by jessigurl_31 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 pm

I just adopted my first hermit crabs. I am so excited they are pp's and there names are Bull, Peaches, Curious, and Fiesty. They love their new homes. I have pics on my photobucket if anyone wants to go look. Thank you Thank you Thank you to Latsyrk she is the girl I adopted these lil guys off of. So I know have 8 pp's. YAAY :cheer: I am super thrilled.
My son Kameron is 5 yrs old and rotten as can be. I have 4 pp's Mario, luigi, toadstool, Baryonyx. I have two dogs Boss, and julio.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/jessigurl_31/

polarpinup

Post by polarpinup » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 pm

I rescue/adopt crabs for a handful of reasons: I'm cheap, I'm a fan of recycling, and I can't handle the thought of supporting these little beasts being wild-captured and put through the stress of shipping/selling. SO... I keep an eye on Craiglist, and have a continuously-running ad on the site, alerting folks that I take in unwanted crabs.

My first adoption was Godiva, a handball-sized PP, whose owner of ten years actually advertised in this forum a few months back. That initial adoption included a beautiful 20 gallon long setup, and her previous owner had some great advice for getting things established. Sadly, the crab's partner did not survive the move - whether it was an interrupted molt or simply stress, the crab passed away the following day. Four months and one month later, Godiva is doing beautifully, and surrounded by a new family of fellow PPs and Es.

I did purchase a couple of friends for Godiva at first, but soon found a number of adoptees on CL. It's been an interesting mix, as far as owners are concerned. One gal was honestly a bit heartbroken to re-home her crabs (3 PPs and 2 Es), and PILED my station wagon full of high-grade foods, beautiful plants, beaked moss and climbing accessories - it was clear that she was devoted to her crabs. I actually started my blog with her in mind, so my pets' previous owners can have a way to check in on the animals.

Some owners have been well-meaning, but misguided. One fellow had two crabs living in a KK, filled with wood chips and one tiny painted shell - one of the crabs is small, one a whopper (named Sandow) - he had purchased them at a souvenir shop, and had no idea of what to do with them. Another gal had me meet with her in a grocery store parking lot - she was inside the building at the time, and remote unlocked her car for me... the crab was in a lightbulb box on the seat! Finally, a family in Fort Worth... initially the drive was a bit aggravating, what with the Texas heat and gas prices (I drive a BIG station wagon) - but when I arrived, I found that the poor thing was living in a toy bucket, with only a washrag for "bedding". The second I put him into the mobile KK with play sand/ee mix, he began digging - and molted the next day. That kind of thing makes a long rescue drive worthwhile.

Finally, the most recent rescue - and a rescue in the truest sense of the word. A woman had responded to my CL ad, and immediately my instincts went on the alert - I just felt that this was an unusual case, and wanted to get hold of the crabs ASAP. She put off meeting for nearly three weeks, and when we finally met - well, my suspicions were justified. Rotting substrate (it smelled like sewage), cockroaches nesting in the tank, mold growth on the aquarium, no food, everything swamp-level wet. Five crabs came from that rescue, one of whom is still in iso, recovering from what looks like being dropped/flung.

I find the efforts in adoption highly rewarding, providing crabs of all backgrounds a safe haven to recover and live out an enriched existence. I will second the advice to meet in a public place, preferably with a partner (it makes the drive more interesting, anyhow!). Always let at least a couple of folks know where you are going. Bring a KK or small tank with proper substrate, as well as a water bottle - on warmer days, I'll give newly-rescued crabs a brief misting before hitting the road. Get your iso ready ahead of time. Also, mention your efforts to friends and acquaintances - you never know what avenues may open up. A perfect example would be the recent acquisition of two beautiful new tanks - a friend of ours teaches at a private school, and alerted me that their science department was giving them up - one tall 30 gallon, and one 40 gallon breeder, for free. I've been considering having a bumper sticker made to advertise my blog - "I Get Crabs From Strangers!" might be eye-catching! Anything to get the word out.

Good luck with this - and pardon my babbling. I'm off to check my email, to see if any crabs are in need of homes...
http://dfwhermits.blogspot.com - Adopted Hermits in Dallas!
PP family (Godiva, Sandow, Mitch, Colossus, Big Chief, Wild Man, etc); E family (Enrique, Blue Girl, Eduardo and Spider); Boxer (Clara); Chihuahua (Doo-Dad); Eastern Box Turtle (Solomon), and a Three-Toed Box Turtle (Pirogue)...

Topic author
tibibi

Re:

Post by tibibi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 am

oimsofunny wrote:On Sept. 13, we adopted 5 Es, 2 Rugs and 1 Purple Pincher. Unfortunately, we lost one of the Rugs, due to a molt. We again adopted 2 Purple Pinchers on Nov 16. They are both doing great. On Jan 24., we adopted 31 hermies that came from Las Vegas. We got 10 Rugs, 10 Indos, 1 Cavipe, 6 Es and 4 PPs. One Rug and 2 Indos have died due to molting and then not making it. On Feb. 18, we adopted 3 large PPs. With all the deaths and I adopted out one PP, to one of my daughters friends we are now at 46 hermies.

What is a "Rug" hermit crab????