Adoption success stories.

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

sontron

Re: Adoption success stories.

Post by sontron » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am

A rug is a ruggy, or C. Rugosus. It is a species of terrestrial hermit crab.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

HaydenHermie

Post by HaydenHermie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:58 pm

I have successfully adopted two pretty large E's! A girl (now friend!) Amanda couldn't take care of her crabs anymore and so she posted an Ad and I was able to get them shipped to me! She shipped them pretty well as the crabs were very active in the EE they were shipped in. I was shocked at how large they were. Neither of us really had an idea of how big they were (she didn't have one of those measuring tools), so she assumed they would've been medium. But they're pretty big! I'd say a close large. They are also both boys!

Amanda said that she didn't really have names for them since she couldn't ever really tell them apart and she let me name them. I chose:

Thulian
Brink

I look forward to keeping in touch with Amanda and sending her a ton of awesome photos. =)
I especially look forward to caring for these guys! They are so precious. They're really calm. One grabbed my finger, but didn't even pinch it! He just kind of held it. Which was kind of cute. =)

They have a yummy weclome-home dinner of shrimp, mealworms, honey cuttle, HCP mineral supplement,PBJ HCP treat, and some green beans mixed in powdered brocoli. <3 Thulian has already managed to empty half of the moss pit into his water dish. >.<Probably not the best placement for a water dish. But glad he's having fun digging around. =)

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:16 am

I recently adopted two hermits off of craigslist in the beginning of June. The family I got them from was uber nice, but the crabs were not properly cared for. They came in a small KK with some green calci sand a small water bowl, some of the bad hermit food, a sponge, and two shells. I am not sure if the water was dechlorinated or not, but the poor things often didn't get water.

I brought them home and put them in a 20 gallon isolation tank. I gave them a hermit hut (they didn't have a hide before and were so happy), fresh and salt water, a heat lamp overhead, they also got a climbing net and a lot of shells to choose from. I also gave them a HUGE hermit feast. There was shrimp, grapes, apple, peanut butter, pecans, apricot, coconut, olive oil, cranberries, mineral eating powder from HCP, blueberry and strawberry and banana treat from the HCP, along with some baby food. I think there were other things but I can't remember. They were so excited! Bluebug ate blueberries and olive oil for at least 10-20 minutes. Bluebug also switched shells right away. Bluebug was looking at the one of two shells offered in their original tank on the way home and seemed sad it wasn't the right shell and there were only two options. Now there were at least 12 and Bluebug chose a shell that usually an E would chose.

Today UMO is still molting and Bluebug has finally started coming out of the log more often and exploring. They are in the 29 gallon with the other hermits and Bluebug is currently on the shell shop! I am so proud of her for climbing all the way up there. Now she is out and about!

I think that thus far they are doing REALLY well. They are so sweet and they get along with my other hermits. I can't wait until UMO comes up. =) :crabbigsmile:
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Kozykitten

Post by Kozykitten » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I adopted four E's off of a person that found me in the adoption forum. They were willing to ship them to me but since I was going to be up their way in a few days, we just met at McDonalds. They had obviously been well cared for. The only downside was that 3 of them were in painted shells. The biggest E (probably a large but haven't measured him yet) was in a tapestry shell and it immediately dumped that one for a green turbo shell. The smallest E (probably a small) dumped his painted shell with googly eyes for a green turbo a few days later. I gave him a day or two to make sure he was happy with his choice and then removed that shell from the shell shop. The other two would probably be mediums and are in American Flag shells. One changed into a green turbo but then went back to his shell within a couple minutes. I'm getting some more shells to tempt them with. I would like to get the painted ones out. After changing shells, the small one dug down to molt (I assume) and I haven't seen it for a week or two now. One of the American flags digs down and comes back up at random times in random places.

I do know my tank will never be the same. I had 6 PP and it was a nice quiet tank, they crept out at night to eat and hung out in their Hermie Huts all day. Now it is a tank full of activity and constantly being rearranged due to the E's. They definitely act ADHD compared the the PP. LOL. The biggest E isn't bothered by my presence at all and I see them out and about at all times of the day. I had to buy some of the vine for climbing (which one of the E's dearly loves to climb on) and some shower caddy's for the shell shop. Still working on making it exactly what I want but it will be there in due time. I am thrilled to have been able to adopt these 4 guys and I am hoping to get a bigger terrarium soon so that I can adopt more. Mine is at capacity at the moment LOL.
Slave to:
1 PP, Hermie
4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 2 snakes, 2 kids, 1 husband

xcreamxsodax

Post by xcreamxsodax » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 pm

I just adopted 2 small strawberries off a lady who got a hold of me through the HCA. Originally she had tried to get a hold of someone else, but it fell through. I didn't know much about them, but she told me they usually take 2 months to molt so I was expecting some big crabs.

She told me in the 2 days leading up to the meet up that the darker one, who I named Ipswitch, was trying to molt. I told her to try putting him in less substrate, trying to keep the stress of moving almost 2 hours to a minimum.

When I opened the KK she had brought them in, I was surprised to see two little guys, barely the size of a quarter. Immediately I put them in the tank, and Ipswitch buried himself. Spunky ran all around the tank, switched shells twice and was last spotted chowing down on some fresh papaya :)
17 PPs: Hiccup, Dweeble, Drowsy, Link, Ganon, Zelda, Eve, Moe, Nightcrawler, Beast, Holah, Scrat, Picolo, Harry, Hermione, Ron & Hagrid
4 Strawberry: Turnip, Chili, Ipswitch & Spunky
2 E: Edward & Mikey

ReptileLover1

Post by ReptileLover1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:27 am

I have adopted one little Girl! She is a PP and her name is Akasha. A member on this site couldn't take care of her and was near me. She is fitting in so well! She hangs out with everyone like she has been here since day 1! Im looking over at tha tank and currently she is taking a small bath in the fresh water! ^_^ She is adorable!
I got my first crab in the summer of 2011. I now have 11 crabs!
I have 7 PPs and 4 Es! They are in a 40b.
I also have a pacman frog(Dewey), 2 Cats (Cinder, and Sherlock), And as a family we have 3 dogs ( Daisy, Coco, and Gizmo!)

Inter5tella

Post by Inter5tella » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm

I adopted two adorable small E's from Wode today! Not only that but she gave me a bunch of shells and some food with them, and we just talked for a couple hours about a whole bunch of things, it was really great, and so far the little ones (currently named Cortana and Master Chief) are being nice to the others and adding life to the tank! c:
4 PPs: Dave and Karkat (definite male) (Smallss) and the new guys- Sherlock and John (Medium and small)
3 E's: Madeon, (teenie) and 2 new small E's, Cortana (definite Female) and Master Chief (definite male)
RIP: Doc Scratch (Small PP, death of PPS and possibly painted shell)
1 female Chihuahua: Chichi, 2 years old

Mister_Eff

Post by Mister_Eff » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am

Woo! Adoption and HCA meet-up in one! Sounds like a blast! Color me jealous.

Mister_Eff

Post by Mister_Eff » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Successfully adopted two crabbies from a lady in Levittown (thanks again Wodesorel)! A small and a medium PP, with painted shells.

The small one is a recent molt, so he's pretty energetic and brave. The big one is missing a limb but has a pretty fat limb bud ready for the next molt. I'm guessing a molt is due. Both look relatively healthy, and though the conditions they were living in were not ideal, it's clear that their previous owner cared about them a lot.

Lighting is in the red ladybug shell. Hammer is in a shark shell inside the coco hut. You can see Hammer if you look closely.
Last edited by Mister_Eff on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Lady is so cute! Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Post Adoptees Here (Crabs that need a new home)

Post by Knibitz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Hunthor wrote:Hi,
I have seven healthy hermit crabs that I would like to find good homes for. 5 of them are about golf ball size. I have kept them in a good humid deep sand crabitat and some of them have successfully molted. They have had good nutrition and good access to both fresh and salt water. I am now retired and I just want to find good homes for them. I am willing to donate lots of shells, some food, and accessories. I am looking for a good home for them in Michigan.

Contact me by text message or phone call at the mobile phone number below.
Thank you,

♞ Gerald

I adopted these lovely crabbies today :D

This guy was streakin' when I picked him up, but he put his shell back on on the ride home and actually did a shell change once he was in the tank :)

He said this shell was more his style

And here's another one of the guys pouting in the corner! Guess he's not too sure about his new home yet >.<
7 PPs: Vinny, Thomas, Tink, Theo, Thumbelina, Fudge, and Midge
1 E: Noel

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm

I adopted 6 crabbies from a girl who felt that she was doing something wrong (13 crabs in a little plastic bin, only 6 were there when I got them). I only got 5 BUT one was molting under the surface and came out shortly after I got them. Sheldon was from this adoption and he recently passed away (I am yet to update my signature). Sheldon was a true jumbo. Size of a tennis ball. He passed from a surface molt. He was mid molt when I got him. RIP Sheldon. The other crabs are doing GREAT. Only two crabs are up besides the ones from the petstore and they are healthy and freshly molted. The others are still molting. I am going to be doing another adoption soon for a lonely crab. I would recommend making sure your adopted crabs are mite free (Which mine where).
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 am

This is a bit belated, but I adopted 5 violas, an E and a straw from a guy near my home town, they're all molting, eating, changing shells and have been getting along great with my original 3 violas and 2 Es :) So that makes a total of 14 adopted crabs.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 pm

9 new ones! I met up with a girl in the north end of my city and picked up some of her crabs. She adopted 14 but most of the new ones fought. I took in 9 and one JUST molted! WOW! A molt in a day, I thought he died at first but he is in a ISO eating his exo right now. What a happy crab right now. I got all PPs as far as I know, one might be a indo. mediums to larges.
HAPPY HAPPY CRAB! :crabbigsmile:
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

Scarlz

Post by Scarlz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:59 am

I don't have pictures of everyone I have rescued. But I've done two major adoptions since joining the HCA. One in Augusta, and one in Atlanta, GA. I got two beautiful purple pinchers from the lady in Augusta. and I got 4 crabs from the one in ATL. two PPs and 2 E's. They are all healthy and happy! Some of the PP's have molted, both E's have since I got them. :)