Just sits there

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Just sits there

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:13 am

Hey everyone! I’m curious about my medium-sized PP girl, Hermione. Bought just back at the end of Sept (terrible beach shop conditions). She did good at first in her 10 gallon, coming out and exploring and eating/drinking, relaxing in the moss pit...but ever since I moved her (and now 4 other crabs-all smaller than her) to the new 40 gallon breeder, she just sits and doesn’t really move. It hasn’t quite been 2 weeks, but that seems like along time to be in one spot. Well, 2 spots technically. She got into a corner at first and never moved, but then everyone would come visit her. Well I found her (in same spot) sitting on one of the newer, smaller guys and after a couple days of that, I finally moved her off of him and when I moved her, I sat her down on top of her food bc I hadn’t seen her eat yet. She just scooted away and found another hidey spot in some of the greenery where I can hardly see her...but now she’s been there ever since! I have a night vision camera and don’t see her come out at night either. I know about concerns of PPDS (lost 2 to this a while back) and since I’ve only had her for about 2 months with no molt yet, I’m worried about her behavior...or lack thereof. The good thing is that she’s not tucked in her shell...it’s like she just sits and watches while everyone else runs around like little crazies.

Is this normal?
How long can she go without eating/drinking?
Anything I can do to get her moving?
How long before first molt (with me) does it usually take?

Any and all info/advice welcome, thank you!

I love her...she’s my OG! ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJrocks003

Re: Just sits there

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:27 am

It could be PPDS, but if if it is then theirs not you can do about it other than wait to see. It could also be that she's nervous around the other crabs and just needs time to warm up to them. Another explanation is that she's getting ready to molt. Have you noticed any digging activity nearby? I've noticed that my crabs sit in a corner for a few days before they dig down to do a molt in that same spot. Really all you can do is wait. If your worried that she's not eating you could always moving food bowl closer to her, but's that's about it. You wouldn't want to stress her out by doing anything else.
My 5 crabs: Dilly (purple pincher, medium-small), Flame (purple pincher, medium), Fleck (purple pincher, medium), Bubbles (blueberry, medium-large), Indigo (blueberry, large-extra large).

Topic author
crabbycasey

Just sits there

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 am

FJrocks003 wrote:It could be PPDS, but if if it is then theirs not you can do about it other than wait to see. It could also be that she's nervous around the other crabs and just needs time to warm up to them. Another explanation is that she's getting ready to molt. Have you noticed any digging activity nearby? I've noticed that my crabs sit in a corner for a few days before they dig down to do a molt in that same spot. Really all you can do is wait. If your worried that she's not eating you could always moving food bowl closer to her, but's that's about it. You wouldn't want to stress her out by doing anything else.
Yea, there’s a tunnel right next to her, but I’m pretty sure it’s from either Sandy or Gary. I’ve actually never seen her dig. I put a food bowl close to her about 5 days ago and left it in view of my camera, but haven’t seen her eat from it. She’s always enjoyed munching on the coconut fibers in the sub, so maybe she’s getting a little from that. Idk. Didn’t think she was ready for a molt since she doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking in preparation. I won’t and haven’t messed with her other than just that once to get her off Turbo and put her on her food. Oh wait! I did also have to give her a quick dip in the freshwater along with everyone else...to get them to smell the same. It was quick and she went right back to her spot. Hope she’s ok and just shy. Good news is nobody seems to bother her. She just sits there...Image

Quick edit: She was perched with just her little legs and head kinda sticking in another shell that sits next to her...she wasn’t moving or anything, just standing in the other shells opening, stayed like that for a whileImage. She switched shells 3 times since I’ve had her (in old tank), but not at all in this new tank (had for almost 2 weeks). Not sure if any of that is helpful info or not, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Topic author
crabbycasey

Just sits there

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am

Update:

She is still in the same spot, haven’t seen her move on my night vision either. She sits with her head and legs out most of the time though, so she’s not all tucked up into her shell. I made her a tiny moss pit, sprayed with dechlorinated water and sprinkled with oyster shells and put it directly in front of her yesterday morning. She loved her old moss pit from the old tank set up, so thought it might entice her...while giving her easy access to a calcium rich snack and freshwater for hydration. Haven’t seen her in/on it yet. Had a full food bowl close by too, but don’t think she ever ate any of it. I change it out every 3 days or so, but it’s the other crabbies eating it. How long can this go on with her still being ok? She can be shy and sit back there all she wants...as long as she’s gonna be ok Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Re: Just sits there

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:04 pm

I had this happen with a crab who ended up dying. If the crab enjoyed the 10 gallon, I would move the crab to the 10 gallon so the crab perks up again.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!