Just sits there

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Just sits there

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:13 am

Hey everyone! I’m curious about my medium-sized PP girl, Hermione. Bought just back at the end of Sept (terrible beach shop conditions). She did good at first in her 10 gallon, coming out and exploring and eating/drinking, relaxing in the moss pit...but ever since I moved her (and now 4 other crabs-all smaller than her) to the new 40 gallon breeder, she just sits and doesn’t really move. It hasn’t quite been 2 weeks, but that seems like along time to be in one spot. Well, 2 spots technically. She got into a corner at first and never moved, but then everyone would come visit her. Well I found her (in same spot) sitting on one of the newer, smaller guys and after a couple days of that, I finally moved her off of him and when I moved her, I sat her down on top of her food bc I hadn’t seen her eat yet. She just scooted away and found another hidey spot in some of the greenery where I can hardly see her...but now she’s been there ever since! I have a night vision camera and don’t see her come out at night either. I know about concerns of PPDS (lost 2 to this a while back) and since I’ve only had her for about 2 months with no molt yet, I’m worried about her behavior...or lack thereof. The good thing is that she’s not tucked in her shell...it’s like she just sits and watches while everyone else runs around like little crazies.

Is this normal?
How long can she go without eating/drinking?
Anything I can do to get her moving?
How long before first molt (with me) does it usually take?

Any and all info/advice welcome, thank you!

I love her...she’s my OG! ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJrocks003

Re: Just sits there

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:27 am

It could be PPDS, but if if it is then theirs not you can do about it other than wait to see. It could also be that she's nervous around the other crabs and just needs time to warm up to them. Another explanation is that she's getting ready to molt. Have you noticed any digging activity nearby? I've noticed that my crabs sit in a corner for a few days before they dig down to do a molt in that same spot. Really all you can do is wait. If your worried that she's not eating you could always moving food bowl closer to her, but's that's about it. You wouldn't want to stress her out by doing anything else.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
crabbycasey

Just sits there

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 am

FJrocks003 wrote:It could be PPDS, but if if it is then theirs not you can do about it other than wait to see. It could also be that she's nervous around the other crabs and just needs time to warm up to them. Another explanation is that she's getting ready to molt. Have you noticed any digging activity nearby? I've noticed that my crabs sit in a corner for a few days before they dig down to do a molt in that same spot. Really all you can do is wait. If your worried that she's not eating you could always moving food bowl closer to her, but's that's about it. You wouldn't want to stress her out by doing anything else.
Yea, there’s a tunnel right next to her, but I’m pretty sure it’s from either Sandy or Gary. I’ve actually never seen her dig. I put a food bowl close to her about 5 days ago and left it in view of my camera, but haven’t seen her eat from it. She’s always enjoyed munching on the coconut fibers in the sub, so maybe she’s getting a little from that. Idk. Didn’t think she was ready for a molt since she doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking in preparation. I won’t and haven’t messed with her other than just that once to get her off Turbo and put her on her food. Oh wait! I did also have to give her a quick dip in the freshwater along with everyone else...to get them to smell the same. It was quick and she went right back to her spot. Hope she’s ok and just shy. Good news is nobody seems to bother her. She just sits there...Image

Quick edit: She was perched with just her little legs and head kinda sticking in another shell that sits next to her...she wasn’t moving or anything, just standing in the other shells opening, stayed like that for a whileImage. She switched shells 3 times since I’ve had her (in old tank), but not at all in this new tank (had for almost 2 weeks). Not sure if any of that is helpful info or not, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Topic author
crabbycasey

Just sits there

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am

Update:

She is still in the same spot, haven’t seen her move on my night vision either. She sits with her head and legs out most of the time though, so she’s not all tucked up into her shell. I made her a tiny moss pit, sprayed with dechlorinated water and sprinkled with oyster shells and put it directly in front of her yesterday morning. She loved her old moss pit from the old tank set up, so thought it might entice her...while giving her easy access to a calcium rich snack and freshwater for hydration. Haven’t seen her in/on it yet. Had a full food bowl close by too, but don’t think she ever ate any of it. I change it out every 3 days or so, but it’s the other crabbies eating it. How long can this go on with her still being ok? She can be shy and sit back there all she wants...as long as she’s gonna be ok Image.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:04 pm

I had this happen with a crab who ended up dying. If the crab enjoyed the 10 gallon, I would move the crab to the 10 gallon so the crab perks up again.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:57 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I had this happen with a crab who ended up dying. If the crab enjoyed the 10 gallon, I would move the crab to the 10 gallon so the crab perks up again.
Oh no, that really worries me. How long had your crab been like that? You don’t think this would stress her more, to move her again (just switched to this tank a few weeks ago)? She’d also then be alone. If it were to work and she perks up, do I then put her back in the main tank or will I always keep her separate? Any hope that she’s just still adjusting/de-stressing and will get better once she’s used to her new environment?

A more recent update to consider, she finally came out from her sit spot a couple nights ago and walked around on that side of the tank for a little while. I’ve also now seen her munching on the moss pit/calcium snack I had right next to her. Her little stroll that night landed her in a different sit spot though (her original one in the corner) and now she’s just sitting again...

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:34 pm

crabbycasey wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:57 pm
Oh no, that really worries me. How long had your crab been like that? You don’t think this would stress her more, to move her again (just switched to this tank a few weeks ago)? She’d also then be alone. If it were to work and she perks up, do I then put her back in the main tank or will I always keep her separate? Any hope that she’s just still adjusting/de-stressing and will get better once she’s used to her new environment?

A more recent update to consider, she finally came out from her sit spot a couple nights ago and walked around on that side of the tank for a little while. I’ve also now seen her munching on the moss pit/calcium snack I had right next to her. Her little stroll that night landed her in a different sit spot though (her original one in the corner) and now she’s just sitting again...

Well the fact that your crab came out, and started eating probably eliminates the chance of death. The crab is eating because it feels healthy. My crab stopped moving for two days at a time, and eventually went half out of its shell, still alive. I remember picking him up and putting him in the coco hut, thinking he was surface molting. I will never forget him staring at me moments before his death. That was the last time I would touch him, or even see him alive. ANYWAY, This is different than your situation because I never actually saw the crab eat (I bought him from a bad store and only had him for a month FYI)
So in the end I think your crab would be fine since he is moving and more importantly, eating.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:17 am

That certainly gives me some peace of mind...however, she hasn’t moved again since she landed in her last sit spot, it’s been several days. I can’t see her current spot on my night vision so I suppose she could be adjusting and moving within that corner. I keep food close by so I’m hoping she is eating more than what I can see. I will continue to keep the necessities near her and hope she ventures out more and more with time. Thank you for talking (typing) this out with me!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:03 am

Exciting update:

I had been putting food and a moistened mini moss pit with oyster shells right next to Hermione every few days so she would have easy access to dechlorinated water and food with calcium. I could never see her on my night vision because she is so well hidden, but I caught her a few times munchin down and sitting on her moss pit! I could tell it was helping bc she started moving around more within her little hidey spot space...but the exciting part is where she came out last night and explored the entire tank! I saw her climb for the very first time since I got her late Sept, it was awesome! She is currently hanging out on the opposite side of the tank behind the coconut climb wall with Gary. So relieved! Image

Quick pic of my big girl on top of some vines...

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:48 pm

I'm so glad she's doing better!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:I'm so glad she's doing better!
Thank you Image, me too!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am

Not so good update...

Okay so since she (Hermione) wondered the tank that one night, she has now settled herself into another “sit spot”. She is behind the coconut fiber climb wall and is very difficult to get to. I say that meaning it would be very hard to get even a tiny food/moss pit bowl back there with her. Remember, this is what I did at her other sit spot and it’s what I feel gave her the energy to move around the tank that one night. Now I’m really worried because she is again just sitting back there and hasn’t come out to eat/drink and I don’t know how to get her food/water back there and also don’t want to disturb/stress her by trying to pick her up...feel like she would just latch onto the coco fiber wall anyhow and not let me. Really try to avoid picking them up at all costs. Any suggestions? She’s my OC (original crab) and means a lot to us!

Keep in mind that I have a Wyze Cam so I can also see nighttime activity. It only records 12 seconds of video every 5 minutes when there’s movement, but I feel like I’d see her at some point if she was coming out...

Very tricky spot to access Image