New behavior

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
MissFrost

New behavior

Post by MissFrost » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:36 pm

So, I have this new behavior that I observed this morning. I thought that maybe it was aggression, but this particular crab (Large male) has never been aggressive. He isn't shy, but definitely passive. He was very energetic, running circles around the perimeter of the tank as soon as the sun set. He was in both the fresh and salt water quite a bit, so I thought that maybe he would molt soon. But this morning, I found him right outside his cave, on top of another crab, and very far out of his shell. His had this crab flipped over, so that their shell openings were facing each other. His pincers were closed, and he seemed to be gently rubbing his pincers on the other crabs legs. Crab #2 was not pulled inside its shell, with its pincers also closed. Eventually crab #2 did this weird leg shaking thing. And now crab #1 is following crab #2 everywhere, and sitting on top of it.

My first thought is that maybe this is guarding or breeding, but its February and I thought breeding was done in late summer.

I have a video, I'll try to get it uploaded and linked.

landlubber

Re: New behavior

Post by landlubber » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Mating behavior........ When I let a man rub my leg he would often follow me around. :P
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:01 pm

landlubber wrote:Mating behavior........ When I let a man rub my leg he would often follow me around. :P
Isn't this how all species breed? I know I personally make sure my SO's shell is facing me while I rub her leg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Last edited by DarthKrab on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

Topic author
MissFrost

Post by MissFrost » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Lol! Too funny!

From reading the info post in the breeding forum, it seemed like it was a end of summer type of thing. But if it is mating behavior, that makes me happy because it shows that they are happy and comfortable. At least I assume that's what it means. :)

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:46 pm

I would love to see that video!

Wait...is that weird?