Back to back molts?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Justin JD

Back to back molts?

Post by Justin JD » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:23 pm

My crab,blue ( about the size of a quarter)came up from his second molt on June 28 (went down on June 2nd) around late July I set a new tank up and after about a week he dug down and haven't see him since. I'd say on July 30th. Now im curious if you think he's molting, distressing or who knows what. Where he dug his tunnel I gently smoothed over a while ago to give me an indication of when surfaced, and no change.
Conditions are all perfect ( 20g high, 6 inch of Eco and sand)
Food - organic fruits, veg, seeds, dried shrimp)
Tons of climbing toys ( 2 1/2 levels)
Instant ocean and stress coat pools.
Moss pot and proper humidity
30+ turbo shells
5 pp crabs total

MsWorld

Re: Back to back molts?

Post by MsWorld » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:36 pm

It's not uncommon for the smaller crabs to molt once a month the first year. As they get older they won't molt as much but it will be longer molts.

For example this year every month for a week or two. Next year a molt every 3-4 months for 6-8 weeks.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:59 pm

When one of my smallest went down to molt for the first time with me after being rescued from the pet store, he was gone for nearly two months! :o I thought I had lost him :( but was happy to find out that he probably just did a back to back molt without resurfacing. (at least I didn't see any sign of resurfacing by him)

And now my biggest, Chancho, has gone down for his first molt with me and I've had him for nearly 8 months now! I never thought I'd see the day he went under lol. (JK I knew it had to happen eventually) However, I am curious to see how long he will be gone since he is my largest and easily twice the size of any of my other 3 pals who are probably on the "small" side of the sizing scale.

My suggestion to you, however, (If you haven't already) would be to get a cheap little notebook and try to record when your little guys go down for a molt, and when they come back up to kind of gauge how long they might be under for their next molt. Unfortunately I haven't started this myself yet (horribly bad procrastinator) but I have read on this site that it can come up with some very good (and interesting) information. :)
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:22 pm

I got my first crab in July of 2015, he finished molting the first week of August. It's almost been 13 months since he last molted! However, I noticed a nice sized molt sac when he came out for his snack yesterday. I hope he goes under again soon!

Topic author
Justin JD

Post by Justin JD » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 pm

DarthKrab wrote:When one of my smallest went down to molt for the first time with me after being rescued from the pet store, he was gone for nearly two months! :o I thought I had lost him :( but was happy to find out that he probably just did a back to back molt without resurfacing. (at least I didn't see any sign of resurfacing by him)

And now my biggest, Chancho, has gone down for his first molt with me and I've had him for nearly 8 months now! I never thought I'd see the day he went under lol. (JK I knew it had to happen eventually) However, I am curious to see how long he will be gone since he is my largest and easily twice the size of any of my other 3 pals who are probably on the "small" side of the sizing scale.

My suggestion to you, however, (If you haven't already) would be to get a cheap little notebook and try to record when your little guys go down for a molt, and when they come back up to kind of gauge how long they might be under for their next molt. Unfortunately I haven't started this myself yet (horribly bad procrastinator) but I have read on this site that it can come up with some very good (and interesting) information. :)
I have been recording the dates and such! I'm expecting him to surface in the next two weeks. Somehow my jumbo ( 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a tennis ball) molted in the same time frame as the crab that's molting right now. They went down the same day, same time a few days right I inteoduced the two. They both then successfully molted together and surfaced two days apart. I wonder if they sense the time it'll take as my other pair of crabs I bought at the same time came up from a molt a day apart. It's like the communicate or something before and during a molt. It's crazy.

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:50 am

Justin JD wrote:
DarthKrab wrote:When one of my smallest went down to molt for the first time with me after being rescued from the pet store, he was gone for nearly two months! :o I thought I had lost him :( but was happy to find out that he probably just did a back to back molt without resurfacing. (at least I didn't see any sign of resurfacing by him)

I have been recording the dates and such! I'm expecting him to surface in the next two weeks. Somehow my jumbo ( 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a tennis ball) molted in the same time frame as the crab that's molting right now. They went down the same day, same time a few days right I inteoduced the two. They both then successfully molted together and surfaced two days apart. I wonder if they sense the time it'll take as my other pair of crabs I bought at the same time came up from a molt a day apart. It's like the communicate or something before and during a molt. It's crazy.
They are pretty cool, huh? I like when I walk by and can hear one of them digging around underneath surface hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Justin JD wrote:

Im interested in how long it takes for your big guy to molt? I just recently rescued a jumbo (baseball sized) who is so very tame. All my crabs have molted several times except him.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:47 am

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:
Justin JD wrote:

Im interested in how long it takes for your big guy to molt? I just recently rescued a jumbo (baseball sized) who is so very tame. All my crabs have molted several times except him.

He difinitely isn't a jumbo but he's been down for almost two weeks now :)

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 am

DarthKrab wrote:
KayedeeLove<3 wrote:
Justin JD wrote: I have been recording the dates and such! I'm expecting him to surface in the next two weeks. Somehow my jumbo ( 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a tennis ball) molted in the same time frame as the crab that's molting right now. They went down the same day, same time a few days right I inteoduced the two. They both then successfully molted together and surfaced two days apart. I wonder if they sense the time it'll take as my other pair of crabs I bought at the same time came up from a molt a day apart. It's like the communicate or something before and during a molt. It's crazy.

He difinitely isn't a jumbo but he's been down for almost two weeks now :)

My mistake

Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:35 pm

One of my medium/large guys did the same. I had the new tat set up, waiting for him to come up from a month long molt. I got everyone in the new tank 8/8, and he went right back down. Haven't seen any sign of him since.