Two Teeny Crabs Have Disappeared

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
crabbyjo

Two Teeny Crabs Have Disappeared

Post by crabbyjo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:54 am

I have been crabbing since last January & everything is going beautifully. We got 2 tiny crabs 7 weeks ago & haven't seen them since! I thought I read that tiny crabs will molt for a much shorter period of time, even a week or two.

Should I be worried....because I am. I have been waiting patiently until the past couple of days.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

mool

Re: Two Teeny Crabs Have Disappeared

Post by mool » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Sometimes they will do back to back molts and not emerge until they are quite a bit bigger. I have a 40B with 4 tiny-to-small crabs that I literally never see. I swear they eat less than an air fern! But occasionally I see one or more of them on my late night trips to get a drink of water.

It's the most boring tank ever!

Topic author
crabbyjo

Post by crabbyjo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 pm

mool, you cracked me up! I guess I'm not the only one who has a boring tank!! Little buggers! They were so darn adorable when we got them. When they come up we probably won't know it's them. I do have 3 bigger crabs that come up right before I go to bed. I have found that if I sneak up from the side I can actually watch them & they don't have a clue I'm there. :hlol:

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:46 pm

yy! I have a kind of boring tank, but Fred is always active. The others sleep the whole time!
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

mool

Post by mool » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:07 am

Someone on here recently said that a tank with all crabs under ground is like have a tank of pet sand! I love that and have used it myself!