Do crabs have strong senses?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
kieagcarm

Do crabs have strong senses?

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm just curious, can crabs smell things strongly? I know they have a good memory, I can tell by penny's behavior. I noticed today that they can rotate their eyes almost completely around on their stalks. I know they have sensitive hearing. Is it sad that I spend all this time thinking about crabs? Lol my smiley faces aren't working again

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Giner13

Re: Do crabs have strong senses?

Post by Giner13 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:21 pm

I think about mine all the time!! Especially now that they've both been down for 4-5 weeks now....all this quiet time to debate on some early Christmas decorating for their tank
But I do think their smell is strong...? Anyone else think so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 pm

The reason I ask is cuz if I smell good food I go find it, but I put food in, food that they are supposed to be fond of, and nothing, not even a nibble. So maybe they can't smell good?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 pm

i dont know. I dont thin my bermit crabs have a strong sence of smell because usually when I put cuttle bone (cuttlebone has a big smell) and freze dried shrimp, they dont come out to eat it at all. From my view, they just eat the food tey walk over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:55 am

I think they do, when I replaced the food dish the other day I put swordfish on there and two crabs came out for it, it was rather smelly even though it is fresh.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:55 am

My cuttlebone doesn't smell...

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:45 pm

mine smells like fish.

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan