Impatient upgrader

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
elly_bananas

Impatient upgrader

Post by elly_bananas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:04 am

Yep. Thats me. I finally got a new tank. Its a 20 wide, and free. Got it the very day Digger decided he was gonna bury down and do his stuff n thangs for the first time with Us. That was almost 3 weeks ago. Which kinda works out alright because here in Massachusettes it seems we're still waiting for June to arrive and im counting on that warm weather to heat that 20 wide and bide my time till i can get the correct size Ultratherm. See, im not exactly sure i even WANT the 20... looking at it empty, i keep thinking i already want a larger one. I need to get it together. Lol.

Whose been in this boat? Ever just "settle"? Should i start gettin this sucker ready? Also, is it bad to have them jumping tanks on the regular? I dont wanna upset them.
She thought she could, so she did!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Impatient upgrader

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:46 am

Yes all the time, new tank on the way (200g) is still too small in my eyes. but a quarter of my room gone, no choice.... as long as your not constantly upgrading and allowing your crabs to moult uninterrupted then tank upgrades are fun. as for setting it up now, its your choice. setting it up now gives you a feel on the conditions of the new tank and allows you more time to do things once and leave it forever...
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 am

:lol: This is literally my crab life. My tank was never big enough. I always wanted more space, more space!

Go ahead and set it up! Make sure everything is good and stable while that guy finishes up his molt.
But... no harm in looking around for a bigger tank in the meantime tho, amirite?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 am

Ha! Ha! :) Every crabber can totally relate to your post!! I'm always looking for larger tanks....and I have 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 am

emberfusion wrote:Image This is literally my crab life. My tank was never big enough. I always wanted more space, more space!

Go ahead and set it up! Make sure everything is good and stable while that guy finishes up his molt.
But... no harm in looking around for a bigger tank in the meantime tho, amirite?
Lol!

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 am

This obsession is going to drive my husband nuts, i can tell. Fortunately for him i have few place to put a tank in my house. We have small awkwardly shaped rooms that are mostly never temperature regulated. My house is super old with horse hair plaster and unbelievably drafty! So theyre upstairs as it is. But if summer would just arrive......

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:14 pm

elly_bananas wrote:Yep. Thats me. I finally got a new tank. Its a 20 wide, and free. Got it the very day Digger decided he was gonna bury down and do his stuff n thangs for the first time with Us. That was almost 3 weeks ago. Which kinda works out alright because here in Massachusettes it seems we're still waiting for June to arrive and im counting on that warm weather to heat that 20 wide and bide my time till i can get the correct size Ultratherm. See, im not exactly sure i even WANT the 20... looking at it empty, i keep thinking i already want a larger one. I need to get it together. Lol.

Whose been in this boat? Ever just "settle"? Should i start gettin this sucker ready? Also, is it bad to have them jumping tanks on the regular? I dont wanna upset them.
I have a 55 or 65 and it's still not big enough. You can run out of space quickly. Hey I'm excited your in Mass me to.

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:43 pm

annedow9 wrote:
elly_bananas wrote:Yep. Thats me. I finally got a new tank. Its a 20 wide, and free. Got it the very day Digger decided he was gonna bury down and do his stuff n thangs for the first time with Us. That was almost 3 weeks ago. Which kinda works out alright because here in Massachusettes it seems we're still waiting for June to arrive and im counting on that warm weather to heat that 20 wide and bide my time till i can get the correct size Ultratherm. See, im not exactly sure i even WANT the 20... looking at it empty, i keep thinking i already want a larger one. I need to get it together. Lol.

I have a 55 or 65 and it's still not big enough. You can run out of space quickly. Hey I'm excited your in Mass me to.

I had noticed a bit ago you mentioned being in Ma, and i had left u a comment, but i didnt know at the time of i could tag! Im in Lowell, i dont remember where you said you were but i remember thinking i was North of you lol. Small world, crabbin. Image

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm

elly_bananas wrote:
annedow9 wrote:

I had noticed a bit ago you mentioned being in Ma, and i had left u a comment, but i didnt know at the time of i could tag! Im in Lowell, i dont remember where you said you were but i remember thinking i was North of you lol. Small world, crabbin. Image
I'm in Lynn not to far away! This is great I've been trying to adopt but not finding anything in the area. So I've bought all of mine 2 at pet express about a month ago and 2 in Myrtle Beach in October ( I did loose one of those). The winter was tough keeping the temps up but I'm finally there. Hoping the weather breaks soon you would never know it's June!
Nice to meet you elly_bananasImage

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm

annedow9 wrote:
elly_bananas wrote:
annedow9 wrote:I have a 55 or 65 and it's still not big enough. You can run out of space quickly. Hey I'm excited your in Mass me to.

I'm in Lynn not to far away! This is great I've been trying to adopt but not finding anything in the area. So I've bought all of mine 2 at pet express about a month ago and 2 in Myrtle Beach in October ( I did loose one of those). The winter was tough keeping the temps up but I'm finally there. Hoping the weather breaks soon you would never know it's June!
Nice to meet you elly_bananasImage

Nice to meet u too!

Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Something I've always thought of doing once I have settled down into a permanent home is converting an old unused closet into a massive crabitat! It's been a fun brainchild, and I've put a lot of thought into drainage, humidity, temp, lighting etc. I think it would work, but it would cost a fortune! Has anyone ever done something similar, converting maybe an old shed into a massive crab-topia?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Wow! That kinda sounds amazing. Expensive, but amazing lol. I did see a thread, (i cant ever find it or i would link it) theres a clever girl who transformed a book case i think into a pretty large crabitat, very interesting thread and she seemed to have a TON of fun making it. Turned out really great, but it quite easily could have cost a hefty sum in the crabbin world lol. I was envious, because it looked like even more fun just shoppin for everything and getting deliveries lol. But the end product looked pretty awesome!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:00 pm

elly_bananas wrote:Wow! That kinda sounds amazing. Expensive, but amazing lol. I did see a thread, (i cant ever find it or i would link it) theres a clever girl who transformed a book case i think into a pretty large crabitat, very interesting thread and she seemed to have a TON of fun making it. Turned out really great, but it quite easily could have cost a hefty sum in the crabbin world lol. I was envious, because it looked like even more fun just shoppin for everything and getting deliveries lol. But the end product looked pretty awesome!

Is this the one: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113487

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:41 pm

daws409 wrote:
elly_bananas wrote:Wow! That kinda sounds amazing. Expensive, but amazing lol. I did see a thread, (i cant ever find it or i would link it) theres a clever girl who transformed a book case i think into a pretty large crabitat, very interesting thread and she seemed to have a TON of fun making it. Turned out really great, but it quite easily could have cost a hefty sum in the crabbin world lol. I was envious, because it looked like even more fun just shoppin for everything and getting deliveries lol. But the end product looked pretty awesome!

Is this the one: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113487

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Lol! I think so! Haha. Such a GREAT and creative job! So impressed!