Pesticide Exposure

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Pesticide Exposure

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:51 pm

If a crab was to be exposed to something with pesticides, what would happen, and what are the side effects?
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pesticide Exposure

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:58 pm

The thing is, we really have no idea.
We basic crab care and their needs like a glorified insect, so as a result, no pesticides. Whether pesticides are actually harmful, we have no idea.

If they were harmful, it really depends on the compound used, since different compounds will have different impacts. For example, one can be used as a toxin, which would have an impact on the nervous system, or the tissue of the organism. Others may have an impact in a specific pathway within the cell, leading to inhibition of a cellular process - leading to death. Basically all pesticides cause cellular death- aka a dead organism.

For example, a lot more is known about how plastic in a frogs enclosure can lead to what I think was an increase in birth defects?... what Im trying to say is that we dont really know much about these guys, and that pesticides may have no to little effect.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Pesticides are known to have severe effects on crustaceans, just look at aquarium keepers and warnings about shrimp. You can also find research into lobsters and food crabs like Dungeness, and wild shrimp as well. We talk more about insects because it's easier for crab keepers to gain an understanding, but the danger is there and it is real. We just don't know what the LD50 is of anything for hermits, which is the median lethal dose of a chemical a species can take. Without that knowledge it is much safer to err on the side of caution. It is so easy to avoid, why take any chances?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:35 am

If my oak trees were exposed to mosquito spray (the trucks that drive around spraying), is it possible to harvest from it and somehow bake/soak it to be safe for them? That's the only spray that i know of. It's in my back yard.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:24 pm

ciaraalston wrote:If my oak trees were exposed to mosquito spray (the trucks that drive around spraying), is it possible to harvest from it and somehow bake/soak it to be safe for them? That's the only spray that i know of. It's in my back yard.
No, this can't be used for crabs.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm

How long do you think it’d take to notice the damage?
I accidentally killed one of my Es a long time ago by putting mulch into the tank that had been treated with pesticides.
Crabber Since 2016

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 am

Because of their extremely long lives and because some pesticides can take a while to build up to lethal doses, you may not notice effects for months or even years. It could also cause internal organ damage or problems with molting that may not catch up to them for months or years.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:01 am

wodesorel wrote:Because of their extremely long lives and because some pesticides can take a while to build up to lethal doses, you may not notice effects for months or even years. It could also cause internal organ damage or problems with molting that may not catch up to them for months or years.
Okay, thank you :)
I won't run the risk and keep these branches in the tank anymore.
Our neighborhood sprays for mosquitoes, but this HOA neighborhood I collected from does not. I just thought the vapors could travel all the way over there.
Crabber Since 2016