Constant shell fights

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Neemie

Constant shell fights

Post by Neemie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:43 pm

Okay well, the (pretty unfortunate) saga continues.

I have two PPs I got a couple of months ago, and up until this point they were doing really fine together.

Ham had gone down for a month and a half or two (still don't know if he was molting or just burrowing for a long time) and before that they seemed to be doing okay. (Well, before I put them in a bigger tank. When they were in the small one they were always together, but now they avoid each other as much as possible. Pretty confusing.)

When he came back up, all JJ seemed to want to do was take Hams shell!

Ham is still in a painted shell, despite the others I have in the tank. (JJ already switched, which is good)

I have to constantly watch over them because if I put them in the container together to clean the tank/they just so happen to be near each other, I see Hammy running away from JJ. JJ climbs on top and tries to tip Ham over.

JJ was successful once to getting Ham out of the shell, to which Ham got back into.

It's just worrying and a bit tiring to have to constantly check up on them. JJ has become bit of a meanie!!! Any tips?

Thanks!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Constant shell fights

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 am

How many shells do you have? The HCA recommends 3-5 per crab. They also need to be the right type of shell. Please check the shell guide. (I’m on tapatalk ~ can’t figure out how to link on here- sorry!).

Secondly- putting them into a container while you clean their tank would probably stress them out. You can leave them in their tank. All you need to do is clean out crab poo, change water and food. Nothing else needs to be done to a crabitat unless you have a bacterial bloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:13 pm

GotButterflies wrote:How many shells do you have? The HCA recommends 3-5 per crab. They also need to be the right type of shell. Please check the shell guide. (I’m on tapatalk ~ can’t figure out how to link on here- sorry!).

Secondly- putting them into a container while you clean their tank would probably stress them out. You can leave them in their tank. All you need to do is clean out crab poo, change water and food. Nothing else needs to be done to a crabitat unless you have a bacterial bloom.

I got you! viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Neemie

Post by Neemie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:15 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:How many shells do you have? The HCA recommends 3-5 per crab. They also need to be the right type of shell. Please check the shell guide. (I’m on tapatalk ~ can’t figure out how to link on here- sorry!).

I got you! viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Ah!! Bless you!!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Thank you @Pinchersandshells

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com