My two crabs are constantly fighting...

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Randomperson428

My two crabs are constantly fighting...

Post by Randomperson428 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 pm

I lost a crab over the summer and decided to replace him with another one more closely related in size to my current crab. The two got along until molting happened for each of them. Now my first crab is constantly attacking the new one for her shell. To counter this, I bought a bunch of growth shells but nothing has slowed the fighting. Currently they're both living in separate tanks and I'm worried they might get lonely there. I tried to reintroduce them but nothing has worked. Should I be purchasing new crabs for the both of them to maybe broaden the community and stop the attacks?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My two crabs are constantly fighting...

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:05 pm

It just sounds like he wants the shell. Try purchasing shells similar/the same to the victim's shell (like a good 6 or so, more is better to increase the chance of success)....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My two crabs are constantly fighting...

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Idk - I think there is something else going on here. Can you please fill out the emergency template for us? Thanks! :)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com