Crab “shaking”/ twitching? (Not an emergency)

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Crab “shaking”/ twitching? (Not an emergency)

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:58 am

Hey all, obviously this isn’t an emergency, just some odd behaviour I noticed.
My crab is very active and eats a lot, I’ve had him for most of my life. (My tank conditions/temp are fine) But I noticed when he’s sitting still / tucked slightly into his shell he’ll sometimes do these funny little leg / body shakes. (Almost unnoticeable, you really have to stare to notice)
He sometimes does this in his moss pit (sphagnum)/ when he’s sleeping. I don’t really think much of it since he’s showing no ill signs and is still acting perfectly normal.

Maybe I’ll take a video of it when I witness it again. It doesn’t happen all the time, I’m just curious and want to make sure it’s fine behaviour

Thanks everyone :-)

On a side note: I did recently move him into a bigger tank, all the sub/deco from his old tank went into his new set up. He absolutely lovesss the space and loves climbing everywhere. He shows no signs of wanting to dig to destress/hide. He’s more active then ever! Like I mentioned! (But maybe he’s still a little stressed?)

Edit: he’s also a medium sized crab, don’t think that has anything to do with it. But idk haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 PP, crabbin’ since 2008!

Princess R.

Re: Crab “shaking”/ twitching? (Not an emergency)

Post by Princess R. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:04 pm

The fact that you moved him to the bigger tank would make since. My crabs shake all the time if they're scared. Maybe giving it a little more time would be a good idea.
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Princess R. wrote:The fact that you moved him to the bigger tank would make since. My crabs shake all the time if they're scared. Maybe giving it a little more time would be a good idea.
Thank you for responding! And you’re correct, it must’ve just been the new environment. I don’t notice anymore little shakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 PP, crabbin’ since 2008!

AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 pm

If he's not scared, he could be shoveling his poop out or scratching an itch far back in his shell?