My crab is pooping in his water dish!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My crab is pooping in his water dish!

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Well, that's almost enough of us to have our own club! Hahaha!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:22 am

curlysister wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 pm
Well, that's almost enough of us to have our own club! Hahaha!
:hlol: :cheer:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Badmouse

Post by Badmouse » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:12 pm

VickieG wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:59 pm
I'm so relieved to know it's ok not to scoop their poop! I make sure to get it out of the water dish, although the last 2 times it caused an "argument" when I nearly traumatized my big guy with my efforts to provide clean salt water. I've found areas where they seem to like to pile it up but it always disintegrates when I try to remove it. In 4 yrs, I've probably removed like 1% of their total waste. I use a probiotic spray to help break it down and keep the funky smell out and have never had an issue with it.
could you please tell me what brand of probiotic spray you use? that sounds like a good idea.
Joked about being a crazy cat lady..
Turns out it’s crazy crab AND cat lady
2 PPs Captain Lee (the stud of the sea) & New Adoptee "Kyle" to be renamed
In the process of adopting 4 more
3 cat babies
RIP Unamed PP😔
Fell deep into this hermit crab hole and I’m not coming back

apaplayer

Post by apaplayer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 am

:hlol: That picture of Diablo with poop on his shell makes me laugh out loud every time I see this post!

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Omg, if I could only figure out how to post a picture... it's Flukers Deodorizing Probiotic Spray for Hermit Crab Enclosures. I order it from Amazon, but think I first got it at a pet store. It's like $4-6 for 4oz, depending on, well, I have no clue why the prices fluctuate, but it lasts me about 6 mos. I use a few sprays every week or so. The instructions say to spray the water, substrate, decorations 2-3 times a wk depending on need. Ingredients: purified water, natural enzymes,beneficial bacteria.

About 2-3 times a month or anytime the tank smells a little funky from food, I spray it around, making sure to target the poo piles. I make sure to spray the salt water and freshwater pools. I have the tank separated into sand and a small fresh water 'pond', aerated and don't change it every week, so I figure the probiotics help keep it balanced. I have plants and mystery snails in the fresh water which also help. My oldest crab I've had over 3 yrs, so it at least doesn't hurt and absolutely makes it smell better! Glad to be of help..

Badmouse

Post by Badmouse » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Yeah I cant figure it out either I've seen people post the picture directly on the post but when I looked into the forum for posting pictures it said to use a photo sharing server, and I have google photos so I used that- but it only posts a link that takes you to the picture. Thats funny I was thinking while reading to ask how long you've had your crabs for and you answered it in your post. 3 years- you've got some good crabbing experience. Thank you so much for sharing I wonder why I haven't seen more information about the probiotic spray that sounds like a very beneficial thing to have. I've got aerated pools too sounds like a good fit.

Thank you!
3 cat babies
RIP Unamed PP😔

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Hmmmm....so many things that are marketed for hermit crabs aren't actually safe for them. Obviously this hasn't harmed your crabs, but I wonder if it actually does anything beneficial. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but that's just me. The ingredients are listed as 'water, enzymes, bacteria'. Seems too vague for my liking, LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Someone clued me into the secret for posting pics...download the tapatalk app...

I don't spray the crabs with it, and it does make the tank smell fresher. I know they don't care for a stinky enclosure any more than I do. Image

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:59 pm

curlysister wrote:Hmmmm....so many things that are marketed for hermit crabs aren't actually safe for them. Obviously this hasn't harmed your crabs, but I wonder if it actually does anything beneficial. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but that's just me. The ingredients are listed as 'water, enzymes, bacteria'. Seems too vague for my liking, LOL.
It seems safe enough to me.

Hermit crab feces are broken down in the crabitat by bacteria. This product just speeds it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badmouse

Post by Badmouse » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:40 am

Very valid points from all regarding the probiotic spray. I'll do a bit more research on it before purchasing
3 cat babies
RIP Unamed PP😔

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:17 pm

That's the reason I got it initially. There's another brand as well, same concept, same ingredients. I found them both on Jason's Frogs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Note: if anybody is reading this that has a relatively small crabitat, it is still the best idea to scoop out what poop you see. Once you are up to a much larger 'tat with lots of substrate, especially if you are using or including EE, it is less necessary, as there is less likelihood of ammonia concentrations building up anywhere (assuming you don't have a large number of crabs). With my 55g and 90g, I never scooped poop (and never noticed any smell), but I only had 3 crabs in them, and if I saw any poop in a water source I did change the water right away. I don't expect the 120high will ever need scooping either!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:09 pm

It's Josh's Frogs, not Jason's, sorry, but here is the description from the manufacturer:

Fluker's Deodorizing Probiotic Spray removes unpleasant residue and odors. It is nontoxic and easy to use. The naturally occurring bacteria neutralizes odor fast and breaks down organic, land hermit crab waste. This product discourages toxic ammonia build-up in hermit crab water. It also improves hygiene of hermit crab water and sand, and keeps land hermit crab's home smelling fresh and clean.

My smallest tank was a 20L, and we're moving to a 75, but I was always frustrated trying to remove the poop. It would disintegrate or get lost in the substrate and I'd end up scooping out more sand and fibers than waste, or it would be in an area that was too difficult to reach without disturbing the whole area, crabs included. I was concerned about missing too much and when I found this product I was relieved. I do try to get out what I can, and I never leave it in the water, but it makes me feel better about my poor scooping skills!

I agree that the smaller the habitat, the more pressing it is to remove the waste.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

AL247

Post by AL247 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 am

Is pooping in the food dish normal? I just put fresh carrots last night and this morning I saw a ton of brown strands mixed in! I threw out everything and put fresh carrots again.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 am

AL247 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 am
Is pooping in the food dish normal? I just put fresh carrots last night and this morning I saw a ton of brown strands mixed in! I threw out everything and put fresh carrots again.

Yeah it is, hermit crabs kinda just poop everywhere, and they don't consider all the extra work they will make us do to clean them up. :hlol:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"