Crab burried shell and all

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
accidentalcrabbist2

Crab burried shell and all

Post by accidentalcrabbist2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm

We got two new crab friends for our 1st hermit crab. The first night, one of the new ones buried himself shell and all. Is he molting or getting ready to molt? or just hiding?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crab burried shell and all

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:44 pm

accidentalcrabbist2 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm
We got two new crab friends for our 1st hermit crab. The first night, one of the new ones buried himself shell and all. Is he molting or getting ready to molt? or just hiding?
You won 't know until he comes up. They dig to molt, cool off, hide/sleep, fun and just because. Just never dig for them. Unless it's an emergency.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Moe2076

Re: Crab burried shell and all

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:58 pm

My 3rd crab I got did that. Buried and didn't come out for like a month. Then it was up just a few days and back to buried again.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby