Sad Crabs

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Sad Crabs

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:46 am

My crabs have been very slow for the past month and it is getting extreme because one of my crabs barely even move at night. I think it is because I haven’t moved the things around i’m their tank for 6 months because I had a molter which never came up. What should I do?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

CrabbyLover77

Re: Sad Crabs

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:35 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:My crabs have been very slow for the past month and it is getting extreme because one of my crabs barely even move at night. I think it is because I haven’t moved the things around i’m their tank for 6 months because I had a molter which never came up. What should I do?
I know this might not technically be an emergency, but if you fill out the form, it might give everyone insight into your tank conditions. Then we can offer suggestions from there. Sorry you're having a tough time. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 am

What is the temperature? I have noticed that my crabs are more active when the temperature is 78 and above. Lower temperatures are safe for purple pinchers but I feel that when its cooler they become less active.

You can rearrange things on the surface. Just avoid moving or digging in the substrate or pressing anything into it.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coco fiber and playsand, 9 inches (this is what annoys me to put it lightly: I had a previous death of my little E and my substrate was only 6 inches. So I got a 29 gallon tank and increased the substrate, but now I experienced another molting death. I don't want it to happen again :(
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, located a little bit above subsstrate and usually reads 79-89 F and 91-100 humidity
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yees, heat pad
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt, I use bottled water but still use Prime dechhlor anyway
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
All types of natural food, 2-3 days
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
currently 2 PPs and 3.5 years
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
yes, 6 months ago
they went down the same time as my deceased crab but he never came up and I think about it everyday
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
29G, normal lid and books on top to prevent escapees
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 maybe 3, and they are all mediums except the "molting" crab, hes a large
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not that I know of
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Every year or so or when all crabs are up
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I switch items around periodically but not lately because of my one "molting" crab (its been six months)
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 pm

A couple more questions:
Is your sub sand-castle consistency?
What brand of salt do you use?
Do you feed sources of protein and calcium?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:21 am

Yes, Instant Ocean, yes for example mealworms cuttle bone, freeze dried shrimp, blood worms and more
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:00 pm

I really don’t know what I am doing wrong
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 am

SHould I just move around the decor? For the 0.001% that the molting crab is still alive, moving things around would probably suffocate him. But my crabs seem to be slowing down right in front of my eyes.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:25 am

I haven't moved my decor for a long time. It doesn't slow my crabs down? How do you know you've had dead molters? Did you dig them up? How long were they buried? I know 6 months is a long time but I've heard of one crabber that said they were sure their crab was a goner but came up 18 months later. Maybe he's coming up at night then going back down. If you really want to move things around, I would do what Motorcrab said and just move surface stuff.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:37 am

Yea, I would only be moving surface stuff. I notice (at least with my crabs) they always want me to switch up surface items around so they don't become bored. As previously said I am not sure the crab is dead but its been 6 months and it usually takes 2 months for him to molt. I also have a Wyze Cam so I would know if he is coming up at night.
Edit: I also didn't notice at all somehow what Motorcrab said about switching things up, sorry
Crabbing for 4 years!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Is there anyway you can post a picture of your tank?

My crew will hide during the day for the most part. I'll get the occasional sole wanderer. Once it hits night they are all over the place. We have extensive things for them to climb on, ropes, cholla, cork, egg crate and even a wheel. They explore every inch of the tank they can get at. My gauge is about centered from top of tank to top of substrate and at the very from of the tank. It steadily ready between 77 and 81 for both heat and humidity.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:32 pm

I would post a pic but Tinypic shut down so I can’t. I have a wyze cam to see what they do at night and one barely moves while the other is out for a few hours, they used to be so much more active
Crabbing for 4 years!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:49 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:32 pm
I would post a pic but Tinypic shut down so I can’t. I have a wyze cam to see what they do at night and one barely moves while the other is out for a few hours, they used to be so much more active
You can post pics thrpugh the app Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:12 am

Another thing which may be important that it is like 6 feet from a TV
Crabbing for 4 years!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:29 am

Being near the TV could be an issue. I won't rulle it out since allcrabs react to things differently. Based on my experience I have both tanks in my living room. The 75 and 29 gallon are within 6 feet from my TV. The light doesn't seem to bother them. I think they actually stop and stare at it sometimes! I know it is recommended to keep it dark for crabs at night. My general thought, and only my thought is that is referring to lights directly on top or near the tank that shines directly into the tank. The reason I say this is because how dark it is at night depends on the phase of the moon. A full moon night is much brighter than a new moon.

It could be possibe your tank is in a high traffic area in your house. Maybe next to the doorway into the room. I know when I peek in at my guys, or walk by even at night sometimes they stop what they are doing and go hide.

Is there anyway you can download the TapTalk app to your phone? That's another option for adding pictures too.