My crabs never chirp

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

My crabs never chirp

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:24 pm

My crabs never chirp and was wondering if thats a bad thing or a good thing. I have heard one of them chirp before but that was a year and a half ago. None of the other 17 crabs chirp either.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My crabs never chirp

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:21 pm

I have never heard mine chirp either, I don't think. Maybe once. It's okay if they don't.
My sister had a co-worker who had her tank at their workplace - one of the crabs liked to chirp. One day, it picked up a shell and yelled at it for like an hour, then put it down. LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:37 pm

curlysister wrote: My sister had a co-worker who had her tank at their workplace - one of the crabs liked to chirp. One day, it picked up a shell and yelled at it for like an hour, then put it down. LOL.
LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:21 pm
I have never heard mine chirp either, I don't think. Maybe once. It's okay if they don't.
My sister had a co-worker who had her tank at their workplace - one of the crabs liked to chirp. One day, it picked up a shell and yelled at it for like an hour, then put it down. LOL.
This made me laugh as well! Crabs are crazy sometimes, but that's one of the things that are so loveable about them! :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 am

curlysister wrote:I have never heard mine chirp either, I don't think. Maybe once. It's okay if they don't.
ImageImage I am reading this at like midnight and I can't stop laughing at it! Something about the way it's written just is giving me the giggles!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

quinnmquinn

Post by quinnmquinn » Fri May 01, 2020 11:05 pm

My crabs chirp occasionally. I’ve seen them chirp at other crabs when they are far away from in the tank. I often wonder if they miss each other. (Two of my crabs are bound at the hip). The most notable time was when I only had two crabs and one was molting. The crab that was up would chirp all night. And that’s what prompted me to get a third crab lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SR245

Post by SR245 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:06 am

This is good. Chirping in my experience is usually a sign of distress or territory disputes.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 04, 2020 5:06 pm

I occasionally hear mine chirp. Being home more now I have heard more chirping in Crabbyland, my 29 gallon. Maybe once every week or two. I look in and don't even see the crabs.

Last year I recorded a vocal exchange between two of my strawberries. They were having a heated talk about something. There was no fighting just a lot of talk! I thought I had already posted it on YouTube. I just uploaded it so it may take some time for it to be fully published.

https://youtu.be/mXFTniMLk-I
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 pm

That is really cool. They sound like little aliens.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi