Play fighting?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Play fighting?

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:36 pm

Two of my crabs have been kind of play fighting recently, one is largish and the other is a smallish-medium (both pps). Anyway, I was wondering if it was actually play fighting, because it looks like the larger one keeps flipping the smaller one onto his back, and then onto his feet, and then onto his back again (while the smaller guy stays in his shell). There don't seem to be any real fights, but the bigger one stalks the smaller one quite often and sometimes grabs onto his shell and makes the smaller dude drag him around. Is this shell-fighting behavior? Wouldn't make sense since the bigger one would barely be able to fit his claw into the smaller's shell. (please tell me this isn't mating behavior because I cannot and will not raise hermit crab babies)
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Hermiesguardian

Re: Play fighting?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Don't worry about babies. It's so difficult that only a handful of people have been successful in raising them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 am

It seems as if the bigger crab is being dominant for some reason (which, if you had gotten once of them recently, I would assume is normal, since they might be trying to establish who's boss). I don't think it's fighting exactly, and it seems as if the smaller crab knows how to protect himself if it is. Sorry I can't give a definite answer! But, like Hermiesguardian said, I don't think you need to worry about babies :lol: .
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:58 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 am
It seems as if the bigger crab is being dominant for some reason (which, if you had gotten once of them recently, I would assume is normal, since they might be trying to establish who's boss). I don't think it's fighting exactly, and it seems as if the smaller crab knows how to protect himself if it is. Sorry I can't give a definite answer! But, like Hermiesguardian said, I don't think you need to worry about babies :lol: .
okay, thanks! And hermiesguardian, I've read a lot of recounts on people trying to raise babies, it seems extremely difficult- but as a hypothetical, if the occasion arises, what should I do? Just leave them be? I've heard that some crabs actually eat them...?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 am

If they are mating, be happy. Your crabs are comfortable and happy in their environment.

I wouldn't worry to much about the eggs if you don't want to raise them. The female needs to drop them in the salt pool. Anywhere else they will just die or become crabby caviar.

If you do want to raise them start doing your research now. It takes about a month for the eggs to incubate. Like you said it is very difficult. There may be 25-50 people in the hermit crab community that try to raise zoea each year that we know of. Mary Akers is one of six people in the world to get them to land. She has been successful the last three years. She is trying to streamline her techniques to make it easier for everyone.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:58 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 am
If they are mating, be happy. Your crabs are comfortable and happy in their environment.

I wouldn't worry to much about the eggs if you don't want to raise them. The female needs to drop them in the salt pool. Anywhere else they will just die or become crabby caviar.

If you do want to raise them start doing your research now. It takes about a month for the eggs to incubate. Like you said it is very difficult. There may be 25-50 people in the hermit crab community that try to raise zoea each year that we know of. Mary Akers is one of six people in the world to get them to land. She has been successful the last three years. She is trying to streamline her techniques to make it easier for everyone.
okay, thanks a bunch!