Crabbie "Lifeguard"

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Crabbie "Lifeguard"

Post by FJrocks003 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:46 pm

I just wanted to share a story because it warmed my heart. Yesterday I was watching my crabs play around near the salt water pool. Just then one of the large ones, Fleck, (I have to large ones [Fleck and Fame] and one small one[Dilly}) fell off a branch and accidently pushed Dilly into the pool. Luckily Flame was keeping watch over the whole thing and he reached down into the pool, grabbed Dilly by the shell and pulled her back up. I'm sure he would have just climbed up the ladder if Flame wasn't there but it really warmed my heart to see how much Flame cares about him. I've noticed a bond between those two especially, I think this is because they were rescued together from some awful boardwalk shop before I knew much about crabs. Fleck came later and never had to undergo the mistreatment that Dilly and Flame did but they seem to have accepted her and they are now one big family.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

CrabbyLover77

Re: Crabbie "Lifeguard"

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Aw that's so adorable! What a great story!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:17 pm

I agree with CrabbyLover77! That story is super heartwarming! It's nice to know that crabs can make bonds like that. I don't really see my crabs together much, but 2 months or so ago I caught them all (before my biggest PP went down to molt) snuggling together in the second story moss bed. It was so sweet! My PP that's molting right now (he came from a boardwalk) was with me before the three other crabbies (1 E that unfortunately passed and 2 tiny, energetic PPs) came in early January of this year. Thanks for sharing!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:17 pm

I have an adopted crab that had taken care of other crabs adjusting to their new home. I have a pp that took care of an E that was scared. Crabs definitely make bonds with other crabs on emotional levels. They make friends. I've noticed that it's been a one on one connection in multiple situations. It's beautiful!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:30 pm

Here's a video of one crab trying to help another crab off the side of the moss pit. Doesn't work out well.

https://youtu.be/ytFlXhu0Pkg
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:20 am

My Viola, Clawdia, takes care of her sister, Coral, PP, who seems to have a diffcult time getting around.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am

Oh my gosh I find it so sweet that they do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk