Hesitant swapper?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
SnipSnapDad

Hesitant swapper?

Post by SnipSnapDad » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:28 pm

My pp Snips is acting a little strangely. He has hunkered down next to my replacement shell emporium (There are 8 extras.) And he seems to be wiggling free from his shell. I've seen his little back legs and his tail. But he just kind of keeps popping a little out and back in. He's also rubbing his feelers over a couple of the shells. Is this normal for when they consider swapping? He's been doing this little dance for about an hour.

Xenocrab

Re: Hesitant swapper?

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:12 pm

Yes, sometimes it takes awhile for them to pick a shell. Sometimes they don't. They may try on several, just to go back their original shell. It can take some time. Be patient. I soak my extra shells in salt water before adding them into the tank. This seems to attract them to the shells.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
SnipSnapDad

Post by SnipSnapDad » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:26 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:12 pm
Yes, sometimes it takes awhile for them to pick a shell. Sometimes they don't. They may try on several, just to go back their original shell. It can take some time. Be patient. I soak my extra shells in salt water before adding them into the tank. This seems to attract them to the shells.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ah, thank you! It's my first time seeing either of them take an interest in a new shell.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:33 pm

I have a crab that once examined a shell for 2 straight hours. Non stop. And didn't choose it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi