Crabs in moss pit all day

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Crabs in moss pit all day

Post by quinnmquinn » Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm

I recently redid my crabitat and added a moss pit. I kept the moss dry. Since the crabs discovered it they don't seem to want to leave. They sit in there all day and I don't see any activity. I have noticed they are still eating their food though. Is there any reason they may stay there? I have my heat at 77 and my humidity at 78%. Maybe not enough hiding spots?
Just miss my active crabs!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabs in moss pit all day

Post by JoeHermits » Fri May 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Yes, a moss pit is clean, soft, and tasty ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri May 01, 2020 9:11 pm

They probably just really enjoy the moss pit. One of my crabs (Karen) loves the moss pit. she wakes up around 10pm, walks around, does her business and eats, and the next morning she's always back in her designated corner of the moss pit, sleeping. she nearly bit off the head of another crab, sandy, when she tried to join her in there. So instead Sandy cuddles with Pool Guy, haha. Now Pool Guy and Sandy are molting, and Karen still dominates the moss pit. I spray it when she's walking around, and sometimes I see her munching on it.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Post by quinnmquinn » Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm

Thank you! I can tell they are enjoying it, just seems so excessive.
Yeah now that you say that it almost seems like “home base” or a nest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarheelbs

Post by tarheelbs » Tue May 05, 2020 2:03 am

My 5 are the same. I have two shower caddies that I use for moss pits. From probably 7 or 8 am till about 8 or 9 pm they are all in the 2 moss pits if they are not dug down somewhere. Then at night they will walk, dig and eat, but always end back up in the 2 moss pits.