Going Down/Molting Questions

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
PhillyCrabbie

Going Down/Molting Questions

Post by PhillyCrabbie » Wed May 06, 2020 8:02 pm

I'm still pretty new to this, and I just moved my crabs (9 of them) to a new homemade 96 gallon crabitat. I have 10 inch deep substrate thats sand/coconut fiber mix for 2 large crabs and 7 mediums.

When should I be expecting crabs to go down? Is there anything that could be preventing them to do so? My humidity is good, my heat is a little low, but working on it, and the substrate should be deep enough. I know they will go when they are ready, but they have been in a regular cage for the last 6 months, I assumed some would go right away.

Thanks for your help.

SilverHermits

Re: Going Down/Molting Questions

Post by SilverHermits » Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 pm

They molt on their own terms. Some crabs like to molt as soon as they find fresh substrate, others wait months until they go down. Smaller crabs tend to molt more then bigger crabs, just make sure your feeding them the right food and you should expect them go down once they finish exploring the new tank + a few weeks to get use to their new habitat.
Crabber for over 11 years
16 hermit crabs
13 Purple Pinchers, 2 Straws and a Brevi
Tanks: 100g, 75g, 29g+ a bunch of smaller ones

Topic author
PhillyCrabbie

Post by PhillyCrabbie » Thu May 07, 2020 7:03 am

SilverHermits wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 pm
They molt on their own terms. Some crabs like to molt as soon as they find fresh substrate, others wait months until they go down. Smaller crabs tend to molt more then bigger crabs, just make sure your feeding them the right food and you should expect them go down once they finish exploring the new tank + a few weeks to get use to their new habitat.
Thanks a lot. They are eating their food like crazy, so that's not an issue. I figured that was the case, but I assumed some wood go down right away since they were likely stressed in their previous house.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 07, 2020 7:32 am

Is your substrate mixed with dechlorinated water? Does the substrate hold its shape like if you would try to build a sandcastle ? If it doesn't the crabs will not be able to properly dig and form tunnels and caves. That's the only reason I can think of as to why a crab wouldn't dig. The two links should be able to explain what I'm talking about in more detail.

Here is our guide to proper substrate,
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92542

Guide to molting,
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92527
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
PhillyCrabbie

Post by PhillyCrabbie » Thu May 07, 2020 7:58 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:32 am
Is your substrate mixed with dechlorinated water? Does the substrate hold its shape like if you would try to build a sandcastle ? If it doesn't the crabs will not be able to properly dig and form tunnels and caves. That's the only reason I can think of as to why a crab wouldn't dig. The two links should be able to explain what I'm talking about in more detail.

Here is our guide to proper substrate,
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92542

Guide to molting,
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92527
I didnt mix with any water, as I was able to mold it to build a sandcastle without it (the sand came damp). I think I am going to give it some more time, and see where they go. They are certainly active, so all seems well

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 07, 2020 8:26 am

With the heat from the lamps it will dry out. See if you can poke your finger into the sand. When you pull your finger out and there is a hole, it's good!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
PhillyCrabbie

Post by PhillyCrabbie » Thu May 07, 2020 8:27 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:26 am
With the heat from the lamps it will dry out. See if you can poke your finger into the sand. When you pull your finger out and there is a hole, it's good!
Yup just checked, there is a hole when I do that

Topic author
PhillyCrabbie

Post by PhillyCrabbie » Thu May 07, 2020 9:41 am

Well I can't find one today, so he either escaped or went down. Either option should be fun