Crab drinking condensation on glass

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Mon May 11, 2020 11:36 am

https://youtu.be/B5tJhGHPsuc

On the left side of the screen you’ll see “Crabby” (who is the only crab up right now) appears to be drinking condensation from the glass. Is this common? Is it a sign that something’s wrong with my pools?

I’ve tested them two days ago with good results. I’ve even added craft mesh last night that goes all the way across the pools to create a more gradual slope and shallow spot.

I don’t see as much pool activity that i did during the first few months. But I’ve made changes to the pools here and there. I went from air stones to filters. Added lava rocks to slow flow to be more gentle. I only see quick toe dips and maybe a quick drink now. But then again I don’t get to see everything. I thought they could be scared of the filters But I remember seeing Crabby underwater (freshwater pool) I think after I added filters.

Any ideas? Or just normal weird crab behavior. I suppose they drink dew and water droplets on plants and such in the wild.

Edit to add: I have also been using more dehydrated foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Links on Mon May 11, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Motörcrab

Re: Crab drinking condensation on glass

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Crabs will get water anywhere they can.

The slight changes in noise/hum from the pumps can discourage crabs. It may take them a few weeks to become used to it again. They may avoid it all together too. It's always hard to know what will deter them from something. I never see my purples swim. I have seen others swim. Our strawberries will swim for several hours at a time.

My best advice is to give them a month or two to get used to the pools and filters being there. If you aren't getting any activity you can try smaller tweaks to the flow of the filters and angles of the ramps going into the pools. I noticed if my crabs hang out in about an inch of water on a platform. In my pool. They really seem to like that spot. There is more action there than at the very bottom.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 11, 2020 1:54 pm

I've had them sit in front of the fogger hose and drink the water that condensed on their exo before! They do seem to almost prefer droplets.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Mon May 11, 2020 5:43 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hUKk7Zb2EgceV2qE6

If this link doesn’t work I’ll upload to YouTube and edit this post.

But I’ve had the filters running since early January when this video was recorded.

In this video Crabby is in the freshwater. Weather he wanted water or just exploring is unknown. The tank was somewhat new to them again because I added sub and more wood so he was all over every square inch of the tank for a week or two.

Also I’ve seen him completely under water but only to get from point A to B. And that was months ago.

My biggest crab (currently buried for first molt with me) was seen submerged in the saltwater not long after I first got him back in November. He had his shell upside down and he was almost all the way out. I thought something was wrong so I put a rock in front of him and he climbed out. Minutes later he was doing the same thing again so I figured he’s changing water or cleaning his shell. That’s the last time I remember him being submerged.

I’ll post pics or vid of my pools as well so you can see how I have them now.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm

https://youtu.be/QMzbn9gcQtM

Feel free to fast fwd through all the rambling.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 am

Any thoughts about my pools is much appreciated. Are they ok? I’ll take a simple yes answer lol. But if the answer is no please explain. Thanks again.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed May 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Your tank looks great! I don't see any issues with your pools. Sometimes it takes crabs time to adjust to the changes. Only having a single crab up makes it more difficult to tell if they are using it.

You know me, I can't simply say yes and be done. Lol!

Once I added my pools I tweaked the ramps every other week until I came out with a layout the crabs like. The one thing I noticed that seemed to help water activity was attaching some plastic plants to the mesh. It allows more places for the crabs easily grip with their legs and claws. I really think being able to securely grip to a surface, even in water is a defense. If a bird would swoop down they can grip tightly slipping out of the birds grip. I noticed when I pick some crabs up that weren't expecting it they seem to try to latch onto anything to stop being picked up. In the wild most water sources are out in the open.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed May 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Awesome! Thank you! I will add some small artificial plants or something for them to grab onto. I was wondering that myself. I thought maybe the mesh it’s too “slippery” but i just don’t know these things. They might’ve liked my homemade ladder from the under gravel filter I made better. The plant idea will look better anyway.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 pm

You're welcome. From what I noticed with my pools the crabs that do venture into the water really like to hang out on the platform that is about an inch below the water. I would say 9 out of 10 times I see crabs on the shallow side shelf rather than the deep area.

The plants on mesh is something I figured out on my own. Someone on another forum suggested the lower ramp. I really wish more people would try to do a little more than just offer plain pools. I think there is definitely a benefit to having larger, more natural pools. I just don't know what all the benefits are, if that makes any sense.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed May 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Yeah I get it. I know what ya mean.
I made these new ramps because I heard your claim they spend more time on the platform 1 inch below the water surface. Mine isn’t exactly flat but why not try something right? I’ll find a way to make deeper pools with a shallow platform. The bigger the volume of water the easier it is to maintain good water. They don’t have to go all the way down.
I only have PP’s but I’ve seen them submerged. Maybe PP’s only do so once in a while?
And looks like I see evidence the new ramps have been used. He may have been using the old ones too but I can’t catch him on the act. Need more cams and wyze this time lol. Mine is having sd card issues and I cant get recordings. I can only get live views and snapshots.