Chirping for his lost friend?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Razzpanda

Chirping for his lost friend?

Post by Razzpanda » Thu May 14, 2020 11:13 am

Last summer I bought twould PP's from Petco, Harold and Biscuit, and one female PP from Petsmart. The two from Petco got along super well and we're almost like brothers :D

However, a week ago the slightly smaller brother, Harold had passed due to molting difficulties :( Around the same time Biscuit had started chirping. I have never heard them chirp before. Do you thing he's chirping for his lost friend? Or is this all by coincidence?

He's not completely alone because there is the female crab in the tank. I'm curious to how much they bond with certain hermit crabs.

Hermielover121

Re: Chirping for his lost friend?

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:42 am

Well I think that it would be from the lost crab. They can really make connections with each other. Awe it is so sweet that they care about each other. He will probably be a little distressed for a while maybe consider getting another buddy. Sorry for your loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Hard to say. How are your tank conditions? Could there be something else distressing him/her?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Razzpanda

Post by Razzpanda » Thu May 14, 2020 9:46 pm

Not that I could think of. I did deep clean the tank recently, but they started chirping before that. Other wise nothing has changed. They have plenty of fresh food, water, and substrate.