"Bullying" or "Dominance Display"

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
SnipSnapDad

"Bullying" or "Dominance Display"

Post by SnipSnapDad » Thu May 21, 2020 12:48 am

My small pp "Snaps" just reemerged today after a 5 week molt that had me stressing. (New Crabber and it was my first molt!) My medium pp "Snips" has been, for the most part, ignoring him since he returned. But I've seen a couple times now that Snips will flip his little brother over and just roll him around a bit. He doesn't seem to be trying to pull him out of the shell, just kind of mess with him. Is this normal for a crab meeting another for (practically) the first time? I got them both on April 15th and Snaps immediately dug down to molt. So Snips has been alone all this time until now. I just don't know what is normal for a dominance display.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "Bullying" or "Dominance Display"

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 am

That sounds pretty normal behavior for establishing the chain of command in the tank.

How many shells do you have between the two? The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
SnipSnapDad

Post by SnipSnapDad » Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 am
That sounds pretty normal behavior for establishing the chain of command in the tank.

How many shells do you have between the two? The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552
I have 10 extras between the two. I'm pretty sure Snips can tell his little brothers shell would be WAY too small, lol. Thank you for the link to the shell guide! It's good to know I got them the right kind. All natural turbo shells that were boiled for safety! :) As of this morning I've seen the two hanging out and eating together!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Yw! Great! Glad to hear! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com