Staring at me?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
CanIGetAWaaffle

Staring at me?

Post by CanIGetAWaaffle » Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Hey gang, so I’ve been crabbing for about 3 years now.

I’ve had Hephaestus, one of my larger crabs, for about 2 years. I’ve taken a hands off approach with him because he DOESNT come out when I’ve tried to handle him. I’ve recently noticed he has this tendency to come to the end of the tank closest to my bed (where I’m usually sitting if I’m in my room) and just stare in my general direction. If I approach him or if he notices me noticing, he goes into his shell. What do you guys think of this? Could he possibly be warming up to me?

CrabbyLover77

Re: Staring at me?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 pm

I think it's def a possibility. He may be getting curious about who/what you are. I've got 2 of my crabs that I wiggle my fingers at, and they will wiggle their antennae back in my direction. I try to do it every day to just say "hi" to them. Of course, I could be saying something rude and insulting in crabby language, but we'll never know lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

SnipSnapDad

Post by SnipSnapDad » Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm

I think it's really cute when my little guys stare, lol. I think they're observing us to try and understand our motives and such. As prey animals, it pays for them to be cautious! Every time I open the tank to change bowls they scurry away at top speed. I'll always just say to them "Guys, If I wanted to eat you, I probably would have done it by now!" XD

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm

I've caught mine peering out of their hiding places and at me when I'm chilling in my room, too! Glad to hear I'm not the only one :lol: I also think it's cute when they observe the area around them. I wiggle my fingers at them when I catch them watching, maybe raise my arm. I think they can make it out? Not really sure to be honest. They're wiggle their antennae back but sometimes they just watch themselves in the mirror, seeming a lot more interested (they're on my dresser, which has a mirror attached). Oh well, if I can't entertain them, they can do it for themselves! Less work for me to do! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:27 pm

I hope mine like me too
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:38 pm

SnipSnapDad wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm
I think it's really cute when my little guys stare, lol. I think they're observing us to try and understand our motives and such. As prey animals, it pays for them to be cautious! Every time I open the tank to change bowls they scurry away at top speed. I'll always just say to them "Guys, If I wanted to eat you, I probably would have done it by now!" XD
Omg this one has me rolling! 😂
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart