Crab under substrate, and won't come out

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Serendipity

Crab under substrate, and won't come out

Post by Serendipity » Wed May 27, 2020 7:06 pm

I got two hermit crabs about 3-4 months ago and when I first got them they were active. I called them Riptide and Salty. In about 2 months Riptide died because the temperature got EXTREMELY LOW. It got down to about 56*F. (We were on a trip and turned the heater off on accident...) Anyways after that experience Salty has just stayed in the substrate for what seemed like forever. I thought he could be molting so I checked on him every once in a while but I didn't really see any signs of molting. I don't think he was molting but he could have been. I wasn't sure if I should dig him up to let him eat or something because he wasn't eating or drinking. So I thought that was the best idea, I don't if it it actually was the best idea. So I have been doing that but he STILL has been under his water bowl in the substrate. I really don't know what to do. I have been researching on google but they don't have the specific answer I need.
Please someone help me, I don't want Salty to die to. Also I'm also looking into getting another hermit crab to be buds with Salty.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

posters.mp3

Re: Crab under substrate, and won't come out

Post by posters.mp3 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:12 pm

are you digging him up and opening his molting spot when you check on him? he could be molting and taking longer because of the stress of being dug up, but then again sometimes crabs take forever to molt. i would say just to keep all the conditions good, like high temp and humidity, water, etc. it’s also a good idea to get another friend because being lonely can add more stress to the lil guy. keep us updated on what happens, hope he’s ok!
chompsky honk

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Okay, I'll make sure to do all of that thank you!
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Thu May 28, 2020 4:16 pm

My hermit crab actually was moving last night. Like what the heck? This is crazy. So I guess he's doing better even though I didn't do ANYTHING and randomly he felt better... I don't know, but it's kinda crazy. I'm thinking of putting a moss pit. I also want to make a DIY hut for him on top of the moss pit. So yea SOME HOW he's doing a lot better...

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 pm

What are your temp and humidity now?

What kind and how deep is your substrate?

What do you feed them? What do you use for water?

If a crab is down under the sub, you should never dig them up unless there is an emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am

Ok I am having the same problem but 6 out of my 7 are under and I’m not hearing any underground movement. The only one that’s up is Terra. The rest I haven’t seen for a couple of months my temp is at 79-80 degrees with 6-7 inches substrate and with humidity of 83%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:03 pm

It's okay if you don't see or hear them when they are underground. Just trust that they know what they are doing, and don't dig them up unless there is an emergency such as a flood or bacterial bloom.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers