hermies climbing

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
nkurz

hermies climbing

Post by nkurz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm

I recently purchased a coconut fiber climbing wall for my tank. My two small hermit crabs were climbing on it this morning at the top and have hung out there for over 6 hours. One of them was up there before I woke up (6:30 am) and the other one joined it. Where ever the slightly bigger crab goes, the other follows and I think it's kinda funny. The one that was up there early has been climbing around upside down on the mesh lid. They have been like that for a while, so I was wondering if that is normal for them to hang onto something for that long. Is there a limit to how long they can hold onto something? Are they just bored or do I need to make changes to my tank?
Here's a picture of them at the moment :) Image

Hermielover121

Re: hermies climbing

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm

I can’t see the photo for some reason but when I first added a climbing mesh well and ramp they loved it and sat up there all day and night. Now they usually only go up there in nights and at some parts of the day and go on with the usual activity staring at me through the glass. I think they’re just exploring the new climbing wall I would be that if I got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asiankanye

hermies climbing

Post by asiankanye » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:07 pm

They usually love staying on climbing walls. When I introduced my climbing wall of coco fiber, they just tried crawling behind it so i just turned it into a ramp so they wouldn’t get stuck. Wait until one of the moss-loving crabs finds a moss pit. One of my active crabs doesn’t come out at all anymore because of my moss pit, and i think my other active crab just discovered the moss pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk