Post molt concerns and questions

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Links

Post molt concerns and questions

Post by Links » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:33 pm

First of all I hope everyone is doing well!

I am concerned about one of my crabs (Mr. Crabs). He burrowed into the sub a few months ago and a week ago I saw him in a hole that I thought Crabby made. Crabby is smaller. I also haven’t seen Crabby lately either. I’m assuming he’s down for another molt.

Mr Crabs sat in that hole for a few days then I saw him on camera a few days ago. He looked to be drinking saltwater for several hours then he went back to that hole and might’ve eaten a little food on the way there.

He’s been sitting in the hole for a few days again.

I think he completed a molt but I don’t know for sure.

I think my conditions are good. Temp 78 night and 82 day. Humidity 90+. Water test is good.

If he molted it will be his first molt with me.

Here’s a picture of him drinking and one of him in the hole. When drinking he would reach way out sometimes like you see in the picture. I think he was drinking slowly. I think he’s sluggish.

Any response is much appreciated. Thank you all!

Edit to add: my crabs are purple pinchers. They are the two in my profile picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Links on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Post molt concerns and questions

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 pm

He may just be comfortable in the hole.

He is stretching out a little far when he drinks, though. Is he able to fit his shell under that overhang?

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 pm
He may just be comfortable in the hole.

He is stretching out a little far when he drinks, though. Is he able to fit his shell under that overhang?

Yes he can fit under it or go beside it. I finally got some small fake plants that I’ll zip tie to the mesh. Maybe that will give more security.

He wasn’t reaching out that far the entire time he drank but I thought I’d share that Incase it meant something. It does look like his shell might’ve been caught on that wood overhang but it’s an illusion of the camera angle.

He was very active and ate a lot before he disappeared for over 2 months. I hope he will get his energy back.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Mr. Crabs came out of the hole again and drank more salt water. Then he went back to the hole again for a couple days. He just now came out and has moved into a shell too small. He’s still moving slowly. Lethargic if you will. I finally got a decent look at him and he’s quite hairy so pretty sure he molted. Fingers crossed for him.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Also saw what looked like he was putting food from the leaf and bug dish inside his new shell. Went and drank more salt water then looked like he’s pulling food out from his shell and eating it. Hard to say for sure but looks like to me.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Moving around to eat and drink are good signs, though sluggishness is hard to treat.

Considering he just came up he may indeed just still be in recovery mode.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 pm

Just realized I think he’s missing an entire leg on the left side. Guess he didn’t regrow it in the molt? Or lost it during or after. No idea.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am

Just an update on Mr. Crabs. He’s changing shells a lot. And keeping each one he tries for half a day or so. He visits the saltwater daily. Spending hours in it but not submerged. Not sure how much he’s eating. The honey is always gone. Either it’s spilling or he eats it or both. Looks like he ate some calcium as well. He still moves slowly but I guess He’s making progress.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am

Hope it’s ok I keep posting updates on this.

Mr Crabs is still trying his best. He’s kept a shell too small on for two days now. I have not seen him change shells the past two days. I also have not seen him in the salt water the past two days but he may be visiting the freshwater I don’t have a camera there. He likes to hide during the day and as soon as the lights go out he’s been visiting the food. I can’t tell if he’s eating or not but he’s on top of the food. Last night I cleaned up the leaf and flower dish and put some different leaves and flowers and also crushed up dried mealworms, grasshoppers, crickets, blood worms, baby shrimp and some brine shrimp with spirulina that I dehydrated. I also have another dish with fresh fruits and veggies as well as some oyster , shrimp and lobster but I haven’t seen him touch any of that. As soon as the light went out he was on top of the flower/leaf/bugs dish. After he was done I think he went back to wherever he is hiding.