Crab hanging upside down from lid?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
aarin-m

Crab hanging upside down from lid?

Post by aarin-m » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi all. I recently got one of those woven lizard loungers for my tank, the crabs love it but it does give them access to the top of the tank. I have a 10g fish tank with a glass folding lid, and one of the crabs has recently started climbing up and using the gap for the fold to climb around upside-down to hang from the top. Now, I'm a little worried because it's about a four-inch drop to the surface, and I don't want him getting hurt. But I also don't want to stress him out by trying to pry him off the lid. Is this normal behavior? If not, should I discourage it somehow?
Here is a picture of him from last night (he usually does this at night of course, especially when I'm trying to sleep)

Links

Re: Crab hanging upside down from lid?

Post by Links » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I’ve let mine do that all they want. And others have said they fall from trees in the wild. I think their landing would be soft unless they hit a rock. I’m not sure if it’s dangerous or not.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Their shells protect them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 am

Mine cruise around upside down on the lid nightly, sometimes they start early and it makes it a bit difficult to change our the food bowl

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:40 am

My little guys love to hang on the lid and bridges I have :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
aarin-m

Post by aarin-m » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks everyone for the comments! I will let him do his thing then.