Aren't hermit crabs nocturnal...?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Aren't hermit crabs nocturnal...?

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:52 pm

So, for the past few days my crabs have been acting weird. They have been huddled together all night but then roaming the tank, climbing, digging, eating, and soaking in the day. I'm not sure what caused this, any ideas?
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

CrabbyLover77

Re: Aren't hermit crabs nocturnal...?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 pm

I don't think I'd worry too much. My biggest crab can be seen out and about at night and during the day. My second largest crab also comes out during the day, just not as much as my big one. The shyer crabs seem to stick to nighttime to come out to eat and explore.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:23 pm

My crabs have never been only nocturnal. They are out and about at various times of the day and the night.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 am

Hermit crabs are actually diurnal - especially during the spring and summer months. That's when breeding occurs.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Vitalik_Miron

Post by Vitalik_Miron » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:39 am

My hermit crabs usually awake at 6-7 pm, make their crabs business till 11, then go to rest and awake at 3-4 a.m. So i think it's normal for them to be active not only at night

Mayo_Girl_1

Post by Mayo_Girl_1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 am

My crabs also are usually out in the day too. Some are hiding most of the day, but they all come out at least 1 time a day. :cheer: I love seeing them during the day!!!!

hermitcrablover54

Post by hermitcrablover54 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 am

im do the same thing!! i dont think its anything to worry about if the tank is the right temp!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Some hermies are active during the day, like one of mine, Pumpkin. It's completely normal!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.