Hermit Crab Intelligence in 2020

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Hermit Crab Intelligence in 2020

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:05 pm

I know there's been several threads over the years talking about this but the topic hasn't been brought up in a while. With it being 2020, does anyone have any new thoughts or overall opinions about crab intelligence? I personally find it so amazing that Hermits seem to defy nature's general rule of how brain size dictates intelligence and complexity in daily behaviors. They're defentinally much more complex then insects.

- Despite having ( unassumingly ) tiny brains, Hermits can do a variety of the following

1. Able to have preferences for shells, and have a whole process dedicated to selection that is not instanteous.

2. Have food preferences

3. Notably different personalities

4. I'm not sure how good memory is when it comes to hermits, but at the very least they're smart enough to know where things are normally located in there tank.

MauiMama

Re: Hermit Crab Intelligence in 2020

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 am

I like to believe that hermit crabs have emotions and feelings and thoughts. I agree that you can see distinct traits in different crabs, and preferences for food and shells, and that has to suggest some level of intelligence.

I wish the scientists would put some funding into that! XD

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•